How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Modern Crochet Ripple Pattern
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
Let's spice up your classic ripple with a little help from the Modern Crochet Ripple Pattern. This easy crochet blanket works up nicely, with the occasional v stitch within the tight rows to give it a little more character. What really takes this crochet afghan from classic to contemporary is the color scheme and stripes.
With four colors you'll create an array of different stripes, each different in thickness. In the end, they give a cool modern pattern to this otherwise simple blanket. It's a crochet blanket pattern you'll be able to use all year round.
Crochet HookK/10.5 or 6.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge11 sts and 7 rows = 4" (10 cm). CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain gauge.
Finished SizeMeasures 48" x 56" (122 cm x 142 cm)
- Red Heart® With Love®: 3 skeins 1101 Eggshell A; 1 skein each 1703 Candy Pink B, 1401 Pewter C and 1311 Khaki D
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 6.5mm [K-10.5]
Looking for more ripple patterns? Then get our downloadable collection of the coolest ripples: How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns free eBook
Instructions for THROW:
NOTE: To change color, work last st of row until 2 loops remain on hook, drop old color, yarn over with new color and complete st. Fasten off old color.
With D, ch 153.
Row 1: Dc in 5th ch from hook, dc in next 14 chs, V-st in next ch, dc in next 11 chs, skip next 2 chs, dc in next 11 chs, V-st in next ch, dc in next 11 chs, skip next 2 chs, dc in next 19 chs, V-st in next ch, dc in next 19 chs, skip next 2 chs, dc in next 11 chs, V-st in next ch, dc in next 11 chs, skip next 2 chs, dc in next 11 chs, V-st in next ch, dc in next 15 chs, skip next ch, dc in last ch, turn.
Row 2: Ch 3, skip first 2 dc, dc in next dc, dc in next 14 dc, V-st in next ch-1 space, dc in next 11 dc, skip next 2 dc, dc in next 11 dc, V-st in next ch-1 space, dc in next 11 dc, skip next 2 dc, dc in next 19 dc, V-st in next ch-1 space, dc in next 19 dc, skip next 2 dc, dc in next 11 dc, V-st in next ch-1 space, dc in next 11 dc, skip next 2 dc, dc in next 11 dc, V-st in next ch-1 space, dc in next 15 dc, skip next dc, dc in top of last st, turn.
Repeat Row 2, working the following color sequence:
5 rows A, 1 row C, 1 row A, 2 rows D, 3 rows A, 2 rows B, 5 rows A, 5 rows B, 3 rows A, 3 rows C, 3 rows A, 3 rows D, 2 rows A, 1 row B, 1 row A, 1 row C, 6 rows A, 4 rows B, 3 rows A, 5 rows D, 2 rows A, 1 row C, 3 rows A, 5 rows C, 2 rows A, 1 row B, 1 row A, 2 rows C.
Instructions for BORDER:
Row 1 (Right Side): With Right Side facing, join C in upper corner of left edge, working across side, ch 3, hdc in end of same row as join, 2 hdc in end of each remaining row across.
Row 2 (Right Side): With Right Side facing, join D in 3rd ch of C at beginning of row 1, ch 3, working in back loops only, work evenly in slip st across.Fasten off.
Row 1 (Right Side): With Right Side facing, join D to bottom corner of right edge, repeat row 1 of First Side.
Row 2 (Right Side): With C, repeat row 2 of First Side.
Weave in ends.
- (SPECIAL) V-st
- (Dc, ch 1, dc) in indicated ch or ch-1 space
Wait, there's more! Get more fabulous ripple patterns inside 15 Ravishing Ripple Afghan Patterns
Read NextDancing Waters Crochet Blanket
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Jul 14, 2017
These ripple afghans are so eye-catching. The colors are bright but not too bright and the design is just lovely. Plus, it looks extra cozy!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Make it Quick Afghanvideocam
Short on time and need some quick crochet patterns? The Make it Quick Afghan from Bernat is an easy crochet pattern that you will… Continue reading: "Make it Quick Afghanvideocam"
- Dancing Waters Crochet Blanket
- Easy Everyday Crochet Blanket
- Gentle Gradient Ripple Blanket
- Lacy V-stitch Ripple Afghan
- Double V-Stitch Ripple Blanket
- Long Shell Chevron Stitch
- Shell and V stitch Ripple Afghan
- Sea Breeze Chevron Afghan
- Mystic Jade Ripple Throw
- White Chocolate Strawberry Double Shell Ripple
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Quick & Easy: Crochet Throw Pattern
- Beginner Throw (free Crochet Pattern)
- Free Pattern: One Skein Crochet Blanket
- Striped Suzette Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern
- Simple Forgiving Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Crochet Pattern: Modern Throw
- How To: Make A Soft Textured Crochet Blanket
- Easy Crochet Beanie Hat
- Shining Star Crochet Blanket
- Mishelka Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions