29 Crochet Shell Stitch Patterns
Learn how to crochet the shell stitch and get ideas for your next crochet afghan!
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Simple, yet elegant, the shell stitch is one of the first techniques people learn when they take up crochet. A step above double crochet in terms of difficulty, the shell stitch creates arcs and semicircles within the crocheted piece. This stitch can add texture and depth to a basic crochet afghan pattern, and with practice, beginners can pick up this technique in a matter of days.
Crochet shell stitch patterns come in all shapes and sizes, from afghans to scarves to handbags. We've rounded up our favorite crochet shell stitch afghan patterns to prove just how versatile this technique can be.
You can make even more gorgeous crochet projects when you combine the shell stitch with other crochet stitches, so we've included some multi-stitch afghans, too. Check out these crochet shell stitch afghan patterns and you might be surprised to learn how many different afghans you can make with the shell stitch.
If you like these crochet ideas and want to see more, then don't forget to sign up for the AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns newsletter, Laying It All Out.
PLUS! Take a look at the video tutorial right below to learn how to crochet the shell stitch or get a refresher.
Table of Contents
How to Crochet a Shell Stitch
- Make a chain (any number, but a multiple of 4).
- Skip 3 chains from the hook and work a shell (two double crochet stitches, one chain, two double crochet stitches) into the same chain space.
- Skip 3 chain spaces and repeat. Continue until the end.
- The number of shells you will have per row is equal to how many times you can divide your starting chain number by 4 (ie, if you start by chaining 16, you will have 4 shells).
- After completing the last shell in the row, chain three and turn your work.
Find detailed tutorials for three different shell stitches and more in All About the Crochet Shell Stitch: How To + 10 Shell Stitch Crochet Patterns
Easy Crochet Shell Stitch Afghans
These shell afghans keep things simple and only use basic stitches. Make an afghan for every occasion, including baby showers, housewarming parties, and summer picnics. Find a crochet striped afghan uses petal pink and raspberry yarn to create a bold, yet feminine look.
Or how about a versatile crochet shell blanket patterns for beginners? Some are inspired by summer and the seashore, others by the French countryside. Take a look at these lovely and EASY shell stitch patterns.
- Lacy Shell Afghan
- Nautical Ocean Breeze Crochet Throw
- No Beginning Chain Asymmetric Shell
- Laurel Green Shells Throw
- Lacy Shades of Pink Shells Afghan
- Quick Shell and Lace Crochet Blanket
- Peaked Rainbow Shells Afghan
- Pink Moscato Double Shell
- Sea Shell Stitch Crochet Baby Blanket
- Rainbow Bright Stripe Throw
- French Country Throw
- Quick as a Whip Afghan
- She Sells Seashells Afghan
- Twilight Shells Throw
- Shell Stitch Variation Afghan
- White Chocolate Strawberry Double Shell Ripple
- Classically Simple Shell
Shell Stitch Crochet Afghans Using Specialty Stitches
Now that you've gotten the hang of the shell stitch, test your skills with some multi-stitch crochet afghan patterns. Try a V-stitch shell afghan pattern or practice the wrapped stitch with one of these tutorials. These shell crochet blankets are amazing.
Some of these crochet afghan patterns use two or more unique stitches, they are still a snap to make. You will love the variety in these ideas that still involve the beloved shell stitch.
- Shell and Wrapped Stitches Blanket
- Alternating V Shell Afghan 2
- Fast Irish Panels Throw
- Shell and V-stitch Round Ripple Blanket
- Turtle Shell Ripple Afghan
- Lacy Turquoise Fan Throw
- Pastel Wind Chime Crochet Lace Pattern
- State Fair Crochet Shell Stitch
- Ripples & Shells Baby Blanket
- Red Ombre Pyramid Afghan
- Hushabye Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Raspberry Swirls Crochet Throw
- Little Bit of Everything Afghan
You will love the free full patterns found in this downloadable collection. Get your copy today: 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns free eBook
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
If you're searching for a crochet afghan pattern full of color, texture, and vintage charm, then look no further than the Brocade… Continue reading: "Brocade Crochet Blanket Pattern"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Simple Loop Granny Square Crochet Border
- Granny Square Blue Agate Crochet Blanket
- Modern Double Crochet V-stitch Chunky Blanket
- Classy Crochet Textured Blanket In Blue
- Thinking Of Spring Crochet Afghan
- Treasured Crochet Moss Stitch Baby Afghan
- Modern Heirloom Baby Afghan
- Crochet Textured Baby Blanket In Pastel
- Rainbow Baby Blanket
- Big Bloom Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions