We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Childhood Christmas memories are enough to warm anyone's heart. Get a blast from the past with the Vintage Crochet Poinsettia Throw. This is one of the most classic free crochet Christmas patterns around. With a poinsettia crochet flower pattern and a forest green background, this free crochet pattern will remind you of Christmas at your grandparents' house when you were a kid. There's nothing better than cuddling with a Christmas crochet afghan while watching classic Christmas movies.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook, I/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- RED HEART® Super Saver®: 6 skeins 389 Hunter Green A; 2 skeins each 316 Soft White B and 376 Burgundy C.
- Crochet Hooks: 5.5 mm [US I-9] and 5 mm [US H-8].
- Yarn needle.
Size: Throw measures 50½ x 60”.
Gauge: With larger hook, finished square = 4”. With larger hook, 13 sts and 15 rows in sc = 4”. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge given.
SQUARE (make 36)
With larger hook and C, ch 3; join with a slip st to form aring.
Round 1 (right side): Ch 3, 11 dc in ring, join with a slip stin top of ch-3. Fasten off C.
Round 2: With right side facing, join B with a slip st in any dc, *ch 5, slip st in next dc, ch 10, skip next dc, slip st in next dc; repeat from * around; join with a slip st in first ch of ch-5—4 ch-5 Ioops; 4 ch-10 Ioops. Fasten off B.
Round 3: With right side facing, holding ch-loops forward, join A with a slip st in skipped dc under any ch-10 Ioop, ch3 (counts as dc here and throughout), dc in same dc as next slip st, ch 2, sc in next ch-5 Ioop in rnd 2, ch 2, dc in same dc as next slip st in round 1**, dc in next skipped dc in round 1; repeat from * around, ending last repeat at **; join with a slip st to top of beginning ch-3.
Round 4: Ch 3, dc in next dc, *2 dc in next ch-2 space, ch 3, 2 dc in next ch-2 space**, dc in next 3 dc; repeat from *around, ending last repeat at **; dc in next dc; join with a slip st in top of beginning ch-3. Fasten off.
Round 5: With right side facing, join B in any ch-3 space,ch 1, *5 sc in corner ch-3 space, sc in next 3 dc, insert hook through ch-10 Ioop in rnd 2 and into next dc and complete a sc, sc in next 3 dc; repeat from * around; join with a slip stin first sc. Fasten off. With yarn needle and B, whip stitch 3 strips of 12 squares each together.
End Trim Row: With right side facing and larger hook, join A in top right-hand corner, ch 1, work 13 sc across short end of each strip.Repeat end trim row across other short edge of strip.
Side Trim Row: With right side facing and larger hook, holding work horizontally, join B in right-hand corner of strip in side of last st on previous A row, ch 1, sc in each sc across, working 13 sc across each square and one sc in each row-end st of each side edge—158 sc. Fasten off. Repeat side trim row across other long edge of strip.
PANEL (Worked on one side of 2 strips and two sidesof the third strip of squares)
Row 1: With right side facing and larger hook, join A in first sc of last row, ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn—158 sc.
Rows 2-41: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn. Fasten off. Cross-stitch on panels following Chart making sure that all cross-stitch borders are going in the same direction. Sew strips and panels together as pictured.
Long Side Edging: With right side facing and smaller hook,join A in top right-hand corner, ch 1, work 211 sc evenly spaced across long edge of throw. Fasten off. Repeat long side edging across other long edge of throw.
Round 1: With right side facing, join B in top right-hand corner, ch 1, *3 sc in corner, work 211 sc across long edge, 3 sc in corner st, work 163 sc across short edge; join with a slip st in first sc.
Round 2: SIip st to center sc of comer 3-sc group, ch 1, sc in same sc, ***skip next sc, *(2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in next sc**,skip next 2 sc, sc in next sc, skip next 2 sc; repeat from * to next corner, ending last repeat at **; skip next sc, sc in next sc; repeat from *** around, ending last repeat at **; join with a slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Read NextMake a Joyful Noise Afghan
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Make a Joyful Noise Afghan
- Snow Bunny Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Snowflake Afghan
- Holiday Applique Granny Squares
- Holly Berries Cable Crochet Throw and Pillow
- Crochet Christmas Lights Afghan Pattern
- Yuletide Throw
- Cozy Yuletide Squares Blanket
- Christmas Flower Motif Throw
- Christmas Spirit Mile a Minute Afghan
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Quick And Easy Crochet Snowflake Ornament
- Soft Textured Crochet Blanket
- Easy Crochet Blanket Pattern With Variegated Yarn
- Leaning Puff Blanket Square
- Hopeful Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Simple Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Soft Easy Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Simple Easy Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Fast Easy Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Easy Waves Crochet Blanket Pattern
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions