8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Childhood Christmas memories are enough to warm anyone's heart. Get a blast from the past with the Vintage Crochet Poinsettia Throw. This is one of the most classic free crochet Christmas patterns around. With a poinsettia crochet flower pattern and a forest green background, this free crochet pattern will remind you of Christmas at your grandparents' house when you were a kid. There's nothing better than cuddling with a Christmas crochet afghan while watching classic Christmas movies.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook, I/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- RED HEART® Super Saver®: 6 skeins 389 Hunter Green A; 2 skeins each 316 Soft White B and 376 Burgundy C.
- Crochet Hooks: 5.5 mm [US I-9] and 5 mm [US H-8].
- Yarn needle.
Size: Throw measures 50½ x 60”.
Gauge: With larger hook, finished square = 4”. With larger hook, 13 sts and 15 rows in sc = 4”. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge given.
SQUARE (make 36)
With larger hook and C, ch 3; join with a slip st to form aring.
Round 1 (right side): Ch 3, 11 dc in ring, join with a slip stin top of ch-3. Fasten off C.
Round 2: With right side facing, join B with a slip st in any dc, *ch 5, slip st in next dc, ch 10, skip next dc, slip st in next dc; repeat from * around; join with a slip st in first ch of ch-5—4 ch-5 Ioops; 4 ch-10 Ioops. Fasten off B.
Round 3: With right side facing, holding ch-loops forward, join A with a slip st in skipped dc under any ch-10 Ioop, ch3 (counts as dc here and throughout), dc in same dc as next slip st, ch 2, sc in next ch-5 Ioop in rnd 2, ch 2, dc in same dc as next slip st in round 1**, dc in next skipped dc in round 1; repeat from * around, ending last repeat at **; join with a slip st to top of beginning ch-3.
Round 4: Ch 3, dc in next dc, *2 dc in next ch-2 space, ch 3, 2 dc in next ch-2 space**, dc in next 3 dc; repeat from *around, ending last repeat at **; dc in next dc; join with a slip st in top of beginning ch-3. Fasten off.
Round 5: With right side facing, join B in any ch-3 space,ch 1, *5 sc in corner ch-3 space, sc in next 3 dc, insert hook through ch-10 Ioop in rnd 2 and into next dc and complete a sc, sc in next 3 dc; repeat from * around; join with a slip stin first sc. Fasten off. With yarn needle and B, whip stitch 3 strips of 12 squares each together.
End Trim Row: With right side facing and larger hook, join A in top right-hand corner, ch 1, work 13 sc across short end of each strip.Repeat end trim row across other short edge of strip.
Side Trim Row: With right side facing and larger hook, holding work horizontally, join B in right-hand corner of strip in side of last st on previous A row, ch 1, sc in each sc across, working 13 sc across each square and one sc in each row-end st of each side edge—158 sc. Fasten off. Repeat side trim row across other long edge of strip.
PANEL (Worked on one side of 2 strips and two sidesof the third strip of squares)
Row 1: With right side facing and larger hook, join A in first sc of last row, ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn—158 sc.
Rows 2-41: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn. Fasten off. Cross-stitch on panels following Chart making sure that all cross-stitch borders are going in the same direction. Sew strips and panels together as pictured.
Long Side Edging: With right side facing and smaller hook,join A in top right-hand corner, ch 1, work 211 sc evenly spaced across long edge of throw. Fasten off. Repeat long side edging across other long edge of throw.
Round 1: With right side facing, join B in top right-hand corner, ch 1, *3 sc in corner, work 211 sc across long edge, 3 sc in corner st, work 163 sc across short edge; join with a slip st in first sc.
Round 2: SIip st to center sc of comer 3-sc group, ch 1, sc in same sc, ***skip next sc, *(2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in next sc**,skip next 2 sc, sc in next sc, skip next 2 sc; repeat from * to next corner, ending last repeat at **; skip next sc, sc in next sc; repeat from *** around, ending last repeat at **; join with a slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Read NextSnow Bunny Crochet Blanket Pattern
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
When you hear the term "granny square afghan," you usually think of a bunch of regular sized granny squares stitched together to form… Continue reading: "All For One Giant Granny Square Afghan"
- Snow Bunny Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Austrian Sleigh Crochet Afghan
- 187 Christmas Crochet Afghan Patterns
- Candy Cane Afghan
- Old Fashioned Evergreen Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Yuletide Throw
- Peppermint Bliss Throw and Pillow
- 17 Snowflake Afghan Patterns
- Festive Irish Stitch Striped Crochet Throw
- Snowflake Afghan Corner to Corner Crochet Pattern
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Super Easy And Quick Crochet Blanket Pattern With One Row Repeat
- Candy Floss Blanket
- Crochet Diagonal Raised Stitch Blanket
- Modern Mitered Crochet Baby Blanket
- C2c Large Daisy Crochet Blanket
- C2c Sunshine Crochet Blanket
- C2c Chevron Crochet Blanket
- Seamless Solid Crochet Circle To Granny Square Pattern
- C2c Little Penguin Crochet Blanket
- C2c Skull Crochet Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions