How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
Keeping it Classic Crochet Afghan Pattern
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
If you're looking for a classic crochet afghan pattern you can use year round, then look no further than the Keeping it Classic Crochet Afghan Pattern. Between the combination of different crochet stitches and joining of panels, you'll need a little bit of crochet experience to make this blanket.
But oh is it worth it! With tons of texture from stitches like the crochet puff stitch and cool design combinations of solid lines of stitches and crochet hexagons, this blanket pattern will instantly become a favorite in your home.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeBlock measures approximately 6" across. CHECK YOUR GAUGE: Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeApprox 48" x 60" without fringe
- RED HEART® "Classic ™": 14 Skeins 111 Eggshell
- Crochet Hook: 5mm [US H-8]
- Yarn needle
Make the most beautiful crocheted throws with this full downloadable collection, 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns free eBook
Instructions for HEXAGONAL BLOCKS:
Ch 5; join with a sl st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 2, [yo and draw up a lp in ring] twice, yo and draw through all 5 lps on hook – beg PS made; ch 3, [PS, ch 3] 5 times all in ring; join with a sl st in top of beg PS.
Rnd 2: Sl st into first sp, (beg PS, ch 3, PS) all in same sp, ch 1, * (PS, ch 3, PS) all in next sp, ch 1; rep from * around; join.
Rnd 3: Sl st into ch-3 sp, ch 1, * 3 sc in ch-3 sp, sc in PS, sc in ch-1 sp, sc in PS; rep from * around; join with a sl st to first sc.
Rnd 4: Sl st in next sc, ch 3, 2 dc in same sc, dc in next 5 sc, * 3 dc in next sc, dc in next 5 sc; rep from * around; join with a sl st in top of ch-3.
Rnd 5: Sl st in next dc, ch 1, 3 sc in same dc, sc in next 7 dc, * 3 sc in next dc, sc in next 7 dc; rep from * around; join.
Assembly: Sew ten blocks together per strip, forming 3 separate strips.
Instructions for SIDE PANELS:
(Work across both sides of each of 2 strips.)
With right side facing, attach yarn to center sc of the endmost 3-sc group of long side of one strip.
Row 1: Ch 3, * dc in next 4 sts, hdc in next 5 sts, sc in next st, hdc in next 5 sts, dc in next 4 sts, skip joining of blocks; rep from * across long edge to last st; dc in last st; turn – 192 sts.
Row 2: Ch 3, skip first 2 dc, * dc in next 4 sts, hdc in next 3 sts, sc in next 3 sts, hdc in next 3 sts, dc in next 4 sts **, skip next 2 sts; rep from * to last st, end at **; skip next dc, dc in top of ch-3; turn – 172 sts.
Row 3: Ch 3, skip first dc, dc in next 3 sts, hdc in next 3 sts, sc in next 5 sts, hdc in next 3 sts, * dc in next 6 sts, hdc in next 3 sts, sc in next 5 sts, hdc in next 3 sts; rep from * to last 4 sts; dc in next 3 sts, dc in top of ch-3; turn.
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each st across; turn.
Row 5: Ch 4, skip first 3 sc, [(PS, ch 2, PS) all in next sc, skip next 2 sc] 56 times, ch 1, dc in last sc; turn.
Row 6: Ch 4, [(PS, ch 2, PS) all in ch-2 sp] 56 times, ch 1, dc in 3rd ch of ch-4; turn.
Row 7: Ch 1, sc in first dc, sc in ch-1 sp, [sc in PS, sc in sp, sc in PS] 56 times, sc in ch-1 space, sc in 3rd ch of ch-4; turn.
Row 8: Ch 3, dc in each sc across; turn.
Row 9: Ch 1, sc in each st across.
Rep on opposite side.
Instructions for CENTER PANEL:
Work same as Side Panel Rows 1-9, then rep Rows 5-9 once more.
Rep on opposite side.
Sew panels together.
Instructions for FRINGE:
Cut 9" strands of yarn. Knot fringe across top and bottom of afghan as follows: fold strand in half forming a loop; insert the crochet hook through the fabric from the wrong side and draw the loop through, then draw the yarn ends through the loop and tighten.
Trim yarn ends.
- (SPECIAL) PS (Puff Stitch)
- [Yarn over and draw up a loop in next stitch or space indicated] 3 times, yarn over and draw through all 7 loops on hook.
Vintage is always in. Find more patterns like this inside this collection of 12 Traditionally Vintage Crochet Afghans
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Restful Corner to Corner Crochet Throw
- Relaxed Guy Throw
- 6 Hours or Less Throw
- 26 Honestly Beautiful Half Double Crochet Patterns
- Super Cozy Crochet Puff Stitch Blanket
- Super Quick Mudslide Mini Throw
- 10 Stitch Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Rainbow Glass Spectrum Afghan
- Peacock Afghan
- Duchess of Cambridge Crochet Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Crochet Basics: Yarn Weights, Hook Sizes, and Crochet Tips
- Yarn Weights Chart [Infographic]
- Sweet Georgia Yarns Tough Love Sock Yarn
- Popular Crochet Stitches Infographic
- Crosshatch Stitch Baby Blanket
- Mellow Yellow Crochet Throw
- Lacy Flower Granny Square Pattern
- Wonderful Watermelon Afghan Pattern
- Single Rib Crochet Stitch Tutorial
- Playful Penguin Easy Crochet Blanket