We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Crochet embroidery in free Christmas crochet patterns has never looked this good! The Austrian Sleigh Crochet Afghan pattern is a keeper for sure. This advanced crochet pattern is best for experienced crocheters.
Crocheting for Christmas is a wonderful experience and this is an afghan that you will be proud to display in your home during the holiday season. It has a classic mistletoe design that will get everyone in the holiday spirit.
Plus, take a look at how to use stitch markers by watching the video below!
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook, J/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeBasic Square = 6 1/2" x 6 1/2"; sts = 4"; rows = 4" in sc.
CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauges.
Finished SizeAfghan measures 50" x 60".
- RED HEART® "Super Saver®": 25 Ounces 389 Hunter CA, 23 ounces 316 Soft White CB, and 12 ounces 376 Burgundy CC.
- Crochet Hooks: 6mm [US J-10] and 5.5mm [US I-9].
- Yarn needle; 3" cardboard; 12 large (7/8") silver-tone
- Scandinavian-type buttons; sewing needle and thread.
MB (make bobble): [yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops] 4 times all in same st, yo and draw through all 5 loops on hook.
NOTE: Larger hook is used throughout unless otherwise specified.
BASIC SQUARE (Make 27):
With CA , ch 3; join with a slip st to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 1, 8 sc in ring; join with a slip st in first sc.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, [sc in sc, (slip st, ch 5, slip st) all in next sc] 4 times; join. Fasten off.
Rnd 3: Attach CB in any sc; ch 3, (2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) all in same sc, [ch 1, skip (slip st, ch-5, and slip st), (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) all in next sc] 3 times, ch 1; join with a slip st in top of ch-3. Fasten off.
Rnd 4: Attach CC in any ch-3 corner space; ch 3, (dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in same space, * dc in next 2 dc, ch 1, skip next dc, dc over the ch-5 and the ch-1 spaces together, skip next dc, dc in next 2 dc **, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in next ch-3 space; repeat from * around, end at **; join. Fasten off.
Rnd 5: AttachCB in the dc that was worked over the 2 spaces together; ch 1, [sc in dc, sc in ch-1 space, sc in next 4 dc, 5 sc in corner ch-3 space, sc in next 4 dc, sc in ch-1 space] 4 times; join. Fasten off.
Rnd 6: Attach CA in 3rd sc of corner 5-sc; ch 3, (dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in same sc, * [skip next sc, 2 dc in next sc] 7 times, skip next sc **, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in next (center
corner) sc; repeat from * around, end at **; join. Fasten off.
Sew squares together in three strips of 9 squares.
SIDE PANEL: (Worked on one side of 2 strips only):
With right side facing, attach CA at bottom right-hand corner of strip; ch 1, work 21 sc across each square changing to CC in last sc; turn – 189 sc.
Bobble Trim Row (Wrong Side): With CC, ch 4, skip first 2 sc, * MB in next sc, ch 1, skip next sc, dc in next sc **, ch 1, skip next sc; repeat from * across, end at ** and change to CA in last st; turn.
Next Row: With CA, ch 1, sc in each st and space across; turn – 189 sts.
Next Row: Ch 1, sc in each sc across changing to CB in last sc; turn. Work 37 rows sc with CB Work 2 rows sc with CA. Work Bobble Trim Row with CC. Work 2 rows sc with CB. Fasten off.
Work cross-stitch embroidery on both Side Panels following Chart. Sew last row of one panel to next strip of squares; repeat. Construction is now complete.
Rnd 1: With right side facing, attach CA in any dc; ch 1, work sc around entire afghan, working 5 sc in corner ch-3 spaces; join with a slip st in first sc; drop yarn, change to CC; TURN.
Rnd 2: Ch 4, work as for Bobble Trim Row around, working the equivalent of 3 sts in each corner sc; join with a slip st in 3rd ch of ch-4; drop yarn; pick up CA; TURN.
Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in each st and ch around and work 3 sc in corners; join. Fasten off CA.
Rnd 4-Picot Edging: With smaller hook, pick up CC in sc, * ch 2, slip st in 2nd ch from hook, skip next sc, slip st in next 2 sc; repeat from * around. Fasten off.
Trim Bobbles (Make 85):
NOTE: Begin and end Trim Bobble with long ends to be used later to sew bobbles on.
With smaller hook and CC, ch 3; MB in 3rd ch from hook. Fasten off. Sew bobbles on places marked on Chart.
Optional Tassel Trim (Make 12):
Wind CC around cardboard 25 times. Tie wraps at one edge of cardboard. Cut wraps at opposite edge of cardboard. Tie about 1" down from top. Trim. Sew tassels on top and bottom edges of Bobble Trim Rows as shown. Sew one button over each tassel where tassel is sewn to afghan.
Click image to enlarge chart
Click image to enlarge chart key
- CA, CB, CC
- Color A, Color B, Color C
- double crochet
- single crochet
- yarn over
- * or **
- repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated
- work directions in brackets the number of times specified
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Snow Bunny Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Vintage Christmas Poinsettia Throw
- Snowflake Afghan
- Festive Step Ladder Throw
- Make a Joyful Noise Afghan
- Old Fashioned Evergreen Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Christmas Morning Easy Crochet Blanket
- Christmas Star Throw and Pillow
- Cozy Yuletide Squares Blanket
- Retro Ornament Pattern Throw
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- French Braid Blanket
- Framed Herringbone 12" Square
- Botanica Blanket
- Striped Baby Blanket
- Summer Breeze Throw
- Crochet Cotton Candy Fluffy Blanket
- Crochet Rustic Country Blanket
- Crochet Guidelines For Standard Bed And Blanket Sizes
- Leaping Stripes And Blocks Squared
- Snowy Field Crochet Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions