How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Blue and Yellow Ripple Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
This Blue and Yellow Ripple Afghan is made with Fiesta yarn, and making it will be a fiesta indeed! The free crochet afghan pattern is a breeze to follow, so before you know it you'll have a lovely new afghan.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Find this afghan pattern and more in our Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghan Patterns for Men and Boys eBook!
Throw measures 61" x 46"
RED HEART® "Fiesta®": 2 Skeins each of 6382 Country Blue A, 6635 Coffee B, 6334 Buff C, and 6250 Cornmeal D.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9].
- Yarn needle.
GAUGE: One 24 st repeat = 5 3/4"; 5 rows = 4" in pattern. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
3dcCL (3 dc cluster) = [yo and draw up a loop in next ch or st or space, yo and draw through 2 loops] 3 times, yo and draw through all 4 loops on hook.
5dcCL (5 dc cluster) = [yo and draw up a loop in next ch or st or space, yo and draw through 2 loops] 5 times, yo and draw through all 6 loops on hook.
NOTE: When changing color, work last st of row until 2 loops are left on hook, drop old color, yo with new color and complete stitch. Fasten off old color.
Color Sequence: [1 row A, 1 row B, 1 row A, 1 row C, 1 row B, 1 row C, 1 row D, 1 row B, 1 row D] 8 times, 1 row A, 1 row B, 1 row A.
THROW: With A, ch 197.
Row 1: Yo and draw up a loop in 4th ch from hook, yo and draw through 2 loops, [yo and draw up a loop in next ch, yo and draw through 2 loops] twice, yo and draw through all 4 loops on hook, * dc in next 9 ch, 5 dc in next ch, dc in next 9 ch **, 5dcCL over next 5 ch; repeat from * to last 4 ch, end at **; 3dcCL over next 3 ch, dc in last ch changing to B; turn.
Row 2: Ch 3, skip first dc, 3dcCL over next 3 sts, * [ch 1, skip next st, dc in next st] 4 times, ch 1, skip next st, 5 dc in next st, [ch 1, skip next st, dc in next st] 4 times, ch 1, skip next st **, 5dcCL over next 5 sts; repeat from * to last 4 sts, end at **; 3dcCL over next 3 sts, dc in top of ch-3 changing to next color; turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, skip first dc, 3dcCL over next 3 sts or ch-1 spaces, * dc in next 9 sts or ch-1 spaces, 5 dc in next st, dc in next 9 dc or ch-1 spaces **, 5dcCL over next 5 sts or ch-1 spaces; repeat from * to last 4 sts, end at **; 3dcCL over next 3 sts or ch-1 spaces, dc in top of ch-3 changing to next color; turn.
Row 4: Ch 3, skip first dc, 3dcCL over next 3 sts, * dc in next 9 sts, 5 dc in next st, dc in next 9 sts **, 5dcCL over next 5 sts; repeat from * to last 4 sts, end at **; 3dcCL over next 3 sts, dc in top of ch-3 changing to next color; turn.
Rows 5-75: Repeat Rows 2-4 twenty three times, then repeat Rows 2 and 3 once more. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
For more great crochet ripple patterns, check out How to Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns eBook!
Read NextDancing Waters Crochet Blanket
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Feb 16, 2018
I am working on this one right now, but in soft brown, dark brown, light teal and white. It is coming out very nice. I am going to put a border on the side edges, though, in the soft brown.
Apr 24, 2016
What a lovely blue/yellow combination ripple afghan. Pattern says intermediate which is not quite for new crocheters but I'm thankful on behalf of other crocheters for the pattern right in front. i'm gonna pin this afghan. Thanks.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Bohemian Lace Afghan
Embrace the lace and try the Bohemian Lace Afghan. Written in 3 different sizes, this lacy crochet pattern is versatile and great for… Continue reading: "Bohemian Lace Afghan"
- Dancing Waters Crochet Blanket
- Easy Everyday Crochet Blanket
- Gentle Gradient Ripple Blanket
- Lacy V-stitch Ripple Afghan
- Double V-Stitch Ripple Blanket
- Long Shell Chevron Stitch
- Shell and V stitch Ripple Afghan
- Sea Breeze Chevron Afghan
- Mystic Jade Ripple Throw
- White Chocolate Strawberry Double Shell Ripple
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- How-to Turn Your Crochet (with Mini Tutorial)
- Textured Crochet Fleece Blanket
- Corner To Corner C2c Mini Bean Stitch Square & Rectangle
- Quick & Easy: Crochet Throw Pattern
- Beginner Throw (free Crochet Pattern)
- Free Pattern: One Skein Crochet Blanket
- Striped Suzette Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern
- Simple Forgiving Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Crochet Pattern: Modern Throw
- How To: Make A Soft Textured Crochet Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions