How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Say goodbye to winter with this Lazy Day Ripple Pattern. Putting a twist on the classic ripple pattern, this crochet tutorial is as easy as it is beautiful. This afghan has a whopping eight different shades of ripples, making it dynamically pleasing. With its spring freshness, this free crochet pattern will energize any room you put it in. Lounging will never be the same again!
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- Bernat® Super Value (197 g/7 oz; 389 m/426 yds) Contrast A: Cameo (53435) - 1 ball; Contrast B: Deep Straw (53515) - 1 ball; Contrast C: Rouge (53531) - 1 ball; Contrast D: Honey (07469) - 1 ball; Contrast E: Fern (53222) - 1 ball; Contrast F: Taupe (53012) - 1 ball; Contrast G: Soft Fern (53221) - 1 ball; Contrast H: Oatmeal (53010) - 1 ball
- Crochet hook: Size 5.5 mm (U.S. I or 9) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
Size: Approx 471/2 x 61 ins [120.5 x 155 cm].
Gauge: 12 dc and 8 rows = 4 ins [10 cm]
Abbreviations: Approx = Approximately, Beg = Beginning, Ch(s) = Chain(s), Cont = Continue(ity), dc = Double crochet, Pat = Pattern, rep = Repeat, rS = Right side, Sc = Single crochet, Sl st = Slip stitch, Sp(s) = Space(s), St(s) = Stitch(es), tog = Together, Yoh = Yarn over hook
With A, ch 272 loosely. (Note-mark every 50th ch with a safety pin to make counting easier).
1st Row: (RS): 1 dc in 4th ch from hook. *Miss next 2 ch. (1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc) in next ch – V-st made. Ch 1. Miss next 2 ch. 1 dc in next ch. Ch 1. Miss next 2 ch. V-st in next ch. Miss next 2 ch. [(1 dc. Ch 1) 3 times. 1 dc] all in next ch. Miss next 2 ch. V-st in next ch. Ch 1. Miss next 2 ch. 1 dc in next ch. Ch 1. Miss next 2 ch. V-st in next ch. Miss next 2 ch.** Yoh and draw up a loop in next ch. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook. Miss next 2 ch. Yoh and draw up a loop in next ch. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook – counts as cluster. Rep from * to last 25 ch. Rep from * to ** once. (Yoh and draw up a loop in next ch. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook – dc2tog made. Join B. Turn.
2nd Row: With B, ch 3. 1 dc in ch-1 sp of next V-st. Miss next dc of same V-st. *V-st in next dc. Ch 1. 1 dc in ch-1 sp of next V-st. Ch 1. V-st in next ch-1 sp. [(1 dc. Ch 1) 3 times. 1 dc] all in next ch-1 sp. V-st in next ch-1 sp. Ch 1. 1 dc in ch-1 sp of next V-st. Ch 1. Miss next dc of same V-st. V st in next dc.** Yoh and draw up a loop in next ch-1 sp. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook. Miss next cluster. Yoh and draw up a loop in next ch-1 sp. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook – cluster made. Miss next dc of last V-st.
Rep from * across, ending at **. Dc2tog over next ch-1 sp and top of turning ch. Join C. Turn. Last row forms pat. Cont in pat working stripes as follows: 1 row each C, D, E, F, G, H, A, and B. These 8 rows form Stripe Pat. Cont in Stripe Pat until work from beg measures approx 60 ins [152.5 cm], ending with A row of Stripe Pat. do not fasten off. Work left edging as follows:
1st Row (RS): With A, work sc evenly down side edge of Blanket to foundation ch. Turn.
2nd Row: Ch 1. 1 sc in each sc across. Fasten off.
With RS facing, join A with sl st in bottom corner of foundation ch.
1st Row: Ch 1. Work sc evenly up side edge of Blanket to top corner. Turn.
2nd Row: Ch 1. 1 sc in each sc across. Fasten off.
Cut 12 inch [30.5 cm] lengths of D and F. Taking 3 strands tog for each fringe, alt D and F for fringe across bottom and top edges of Afghan, working fringe in each ch-2 sp across foundation row or each ch-1 sp across top edge. Trim fringe evenly.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Stunning Popcorn Ripple Crochet Afghan
- White Chocolate Strawberry Double Shell Ripple
- Soft Clusters Ripple Afghan
- Perfectly Purple Ripple Throw
- Easy Everyday Crochet Blanket
- Sea Breeze Chevron Afghan
- Water Ripples Crochet Afghan
- Turtle Shell Ripple Afghan
- Lazy Day Ripple Pattern
- Crochet V Stitch Ripple Afghan
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Red Heart Infinity Yarn
- 67 Reader Submitted Yarn Organization Tips
- Old Glory American Flag Afghan
- Rag Quilt Style Baby Blanket
- All About the Picot Stitch: How To + 10 Picot Crochet Patterns
- Luster Superwash Merino Tencel Yarn
- 187 Christmas Crochet Afghan Patterns
- Sweet Georgia Yarns
- How to Repair an Afghan Infographic
- Blast Off Crochet Snuggle Sack
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions