How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
26 Free Afghan Crochet Patterns for Beginners
With these simple free crochet afghan ideas, you will become a blanket-making pro in no time!
By: The Editors of AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns.com
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
New to crochet? Check out these 26 Free Afghan Crochet Patterns for Beginners. Crocheting can be overwhelming at first. Ease your way into the world of afghans with our free crochet patterns just for you.
With these simple tutorials, you can learn the basic stitches and practice your skills. Soon you will realize that you can make a variety of crochet patterns with very little expertise!
Not only do we have tutorials for afghans, but we also have ones for crochet granny squares. Crochet squares are great for beginners because they are small and usually very quick to make. With all the wonderful colors and patterns, one of these projects is sure to strike your fancy. From granny squares to afghans, this list will be your beginner's guide to the art of crochet.
If you like these crochet ideas and want to see more, then don't forget to sign up for the AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns newsletter, Laying It All Out.
PLUS! Check out the video tutorial right below to learn how to wind your own yarn ball.
Table of Contents
These are some of the most popular ripple afghans on the site. See if you agree with their popularity by checking out this collection, 16 Favorite Ripple Crochet Afghan Patterns
Free Easy to Crochet Afghan Patterns
Crocheting for beginners doesn't have to be painful—as a matter of fact, it will be downright fun when you start out with these crochet blankets. Ranging from easy to beginner crochet patterns, all these crochet projects for beginners will be great practice while still producing a beautiful project.
"Start with simple stitches and practice them until they look great and even. A beautifully stitched piece of single crocheted or double crocheted stitches looks better than a poorly stitched piece of fancy stitches." – Cindy, crocheter
There's even a beginner's ripple blanket for you to test out a new style! These beginner crochet projects are perfect for those crochet newbies just starting out - so grab your hook and some yarn and give these crochet blanket patterns a try!
- Unbelievably Easy Crochet BlanketNeed to make a crochet afghan quick? Then the Unbelievably Easy Crochet Blanket is the pattern for you! This chunky crochet blanket pattern is so easy even a beginner can make it. Quick, easy, and chic, there's really nothing not to love! Plus, it's the perfect pattern to make for a last minute gift. Waste no time and create a pattern you'll be able to use all winter long.
- Lilac & Sage Raised Rib Crochet BlanketThe Lilac Sage Raised Rib Crochet Blanket is crocheted with half double crochet stitches and front post double crochet stitches. Crocheted with pretty lilac and sage yarn, this afghan is made first in strips and then joined together with the invisible seam technique and is great for beginners.
- Beginner Daydream Baby BlanketUsing fun colors like sunshine, light country peach, orchid and other soft colors will make you feel like you're on a cloud while working up the Beginner Daydream Baby Blanket. This crochet blanket pattern is great for those just learning how to crochet. The continuous rounds give it that never ending square effect which can be mesmerizing to the eye. Any baby who receives this wonderful blanket will want to stare at it for hours because of the colors and optical illusion.
- Ridiculously Quick and Easy Crochet AfghanLooking for the ultimate lounge blanket? We've found it! Whip up the Ridiculously Quick and Easy Crochet Afghan and prepare to cozy up on the couch. As one of the cuddliest crochet afghan patterns around, the real difficulty with this throw won't be in creating it, but in resisting the urge to lounge around with it all day long. Crocheting four strands of yarn together as one, you'll be snuggling up on your couch in no time!
- Spring into Summer Crochet Blanket PatternAs the season begins to shift, it's time to break out the Spring into Summer Crochet Blanket. Full of delicious colors and irresistible texture, it's the perfect lightweight crochet afghan pattern as the spring fades into the summer. Worked in corner to corner crochet or crazy stitch, you'll create a simple blanket full of texture. As a bonus, if you use variegated yarn, the stripes will crochet themselves.
- Rainbow Stripes Beginner Crochet BlanketThis Rainbow Stripes Beginner Crochet Blanket captures the brightest colors of the rainbow and hooks them into the perfect piece. This afghan blanket is crocheted loosely, so it gaps easily for little fingers to play with or for a lighter feel. If you want to adjust it, however, the pattern will still work with a thicker yarn and a smaller crochet hook for more density.
- Beginner's Round RippleIf you're just learning to crochet, you've got to try this easy crochet pattern. The Beginner's Round Ripple is simple enough for beginners but still looks impressive. It's hard not to love these vibrant blue zig-zags. The visually appealing design and calming shades of blue come together to create a truly beautiful crochet afghan pattern.
Easy to Crochet Granny Square Patterns
Learn how to crochet granny squares and a granny blanket from these super easy patterns. This collection will help you decide which crochet pattern to try first. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced crocheter, these patterns are fun for everyone. After trying these easy patterns, you'll be "hooked" on crochet for sure!
"Don’t be afraid to rip-it-out!! There is a lot of yarn in this world- don’t worry about using “too much”- there is no such thing. Start simple & practice. Granny squares are the easiest to learn a little bit of everything." – Mary, crocheter
- Victorian V Stitch SquareThe Victorian V-Stitch Square is soon to be your favorite classic design. This crochet granny square expertly uses the v-stitch to create a truly elegant crochet motif. Reminiscent of cathedral architecture, take a step back into the Victorian era and crochet this granny square pattern.
- Basic Crochet Granny SquareWant to learn how to crochet a granny square? The Basic Crochet Granny Square is the perfect one to learn from. This is a classic pattern that is great for any crochet granny square blanket; plus, it looks great in any color! A beginner crochet granny square like this won't use up a lot of your yarn or time, so you can make a bunch and keep on practicing. Build an afghan with all the squares you accumulate.
- Cottage Relaxation Granny AfghanStay warm with this Cottage Relaxation Granny Afghan. This free granny square blanket pattern uses Bernat Mosaic Yarn and is created by joining granny squares together on a diagonal axis. It has a simple but timeless design that will instantly become a family favorite. Make this crochet granny square blanket and you won't regret it. With an easy granny square pattern like this, you'll have this afghan finished in no time.
- Basic Rectangle GrannyThis crochet pattern is perfect for beginners. Start with one Basic Rectangle Granny square and soon enough you'll have a granny square afghan! All you have to do is be able to work up shell stitches to get one of these granny square patterns going. We love the simplicity of the square and think that it would make an adorable crochet baby blanket in the pink color in the example.
- Sherbert SquareThis crocheted pattern is like a cold treat on a hot day! You'll love the look of this fun and easy Sherbert Square. Take a look at the tutorial and get started today!
- Springtime Squares Crochet AfghanSpringtime Squares is a soft and cuddly crochet afghan worked up in pastel shades. Worked in Caron One Pound yarn, this beginner-friendly pattern is comprised of 25 individual granny square motifs that are joined together at the end. Featuring a helpful diagram and an assembly diagram, this crochet afghan pattern is the perfect springtime pattern.
- Rainbow Shells Crochet AfghanThe vibrantly colored yarn just shouts with joy on this Rainbow Shells Crochet Afghan. The crochet shell pattern makes the rainbow yarn look like it is bursting from the seams of this easy crochet blanket. Use simple crochet stitches and about four skeins of yarn to work up a baby-sized design. Never fear, though the pattern can easily be adjusted for adults by adding extra rows. This free afghan crochet pattern would be a great way for beginners to learn to make bigger projects, but the shell stitch looks so great that even pros won't be able to resist.
Easy Crochet Blanket Patterns
If you've ever wanted to try crochet, this is your chance. It's an amazing world of talent and creativity and these patterns are proof. It's the easiest way to ease yourself into crocheting with no stress. The Floral Petals Mile a Minute Afghan pattern is so much fun - you won't be able to put your hook down!
"Know, ahead of time, that mistakes happen. Take it slow. Get used to the yarn, AND your hook. You’ll do “so much,” pull it all out, and start over MANY times. The KEY: Have fun with it." – Dan R, crocheter
The simpler the better - and that's just what these amazing patterns are all about. These crochet blanket patterns are fast, quick and easy!
- Floral Petals Mile a Minute AfghanIf you need to work up a crochet blanket quickly, you'll be grateful that you found the Floral Petals Mile a Minute Afghan. As far as crochet blanket patterns go, this one is the prettiest and the fastest to make. When you need an easy blanket for a baby shower or another occasion, this mile a minute crochet pattern should be your go-to last minute gift.
- Crochet One Skein ThrowIf you're looking for one skein crochet patterns, then this one skein wonder is just for you. The Crochet One Skein Throw is fun and quick to make. Plus, it's functional, too! Using the double crochet stitch and treble crochet stitch, this easy pattern has texture and style without the hefty price tag.
- Sunny Skies Crochet AfghanCelebrate wonderful weather with the Sunny Skies Crochet Afghan. Even on rainy days, this easy crochet afghan pattern will transport you to the summer time with its pale yellow, light blue, and white stripes. You'll want to sit out on the porch at sunset with this light and lacy afghan made of the shell stitch and the picot stitch. The pastel colors and lightness of this crochet afghan also make it a great gift for a mommy-to-be and her newborn to curl up in for a nap.
- Easy Garden Chevron AfghanLooking for an easy way to bring some of those lovely outdoor colors into your home? The Easy Garden Chevron Afghan will help you do just that with a spring flair! Earth, sky and water are all represented on this wonderful crochet chevron pattern. The triple crochet stitch gives this blanket a light, airy feel, so it's perfect for the warmer months.
- Simple Diamond Border AfghanHere's a simple crochet pattern that anyone from beginners to advanced can work up: the Simple Diamond Border Afghan! This timeless design can have a striking contrast by using bold colors or take on a classic feel with toned down and neutral hues. Brighten up any room in your house or match your style with this decorative free crochet pattern.
- Salt Water Taffy Baby BlanketThe Salt Water Taffy Baby Blanket is a gorgeous crochet baby blanket that's perfect for the spring and summer months. With a color scheme that's reminiscent of walks on the pier and summertime food stands, this easy crochet blanket makes a perfect baby shower gift.
- This Super Soft Layla Blanket is made with bulky yarn and a 9.0mm hook and works up in one night! How can you beat that? That's why beginners will love making this stunning and softly-colored blanket. It has the most impressive texture that looks anything but "beginner" quality.
Beginner and Easy Crochet Ripple Patterns
Crochet ripple blankets look a little tricky, but they're actually surprisingly easy! Because of their simple and repeating stitch pattern, once you've gotten the hang of the pattern, you can just keep going until your afghan is complete.
"Find a pattern you love. This keeps your interest, even when you are having issues with tension and hook size." – Emily C, crocheter
Stick with just one color to let the stitch do the work, like with the Water Ripples Crochet Afghan, or use multiple colors for a rainbow striped effect, like the Malibu Ripples Afghan.
- Stunning Popcorn Ripple Crochet AfghanIf you're looking to create an effortlessly elegant crochet afghan, then look no further than this Stunning Popcorn Ripple Crochet Afghan. With its vintage air and rich texture, it's a must-have pattern for any crocheter! Whether you give the afghan as a gift or keep it for yourself, there's simply no way that you can wrong.
- Crochet V Stitch Ripple AfghanGet ready to fall in love with the Crochet V Stitch Ripple Afghan. In chic coordinating colors of blues and browns, this lacy ripple pattern is a contemporary twist on a classic design. Using the crochet v stitch, you'll create a lacy ripple that will instantly add a chic touch to any room. It's the perfect blanket to snuggle up with while you sit by the fire or watch a movie with the family.
- Cabin in the Woods Crochet AfghanWhat if you could get that coveted woodsy lodge look in your own home? You can with the Cabin in the Woods Crochet Afghan! This cozy crochet blanket pattern is full of warm tones that will make you feel like you are away at your dream cabin. With both a crochet ripple stitch and a crochet puff stitch, this afghan has texture and style. When those autumn months send a chill in the air, this crochet afghan will be the perfect thing to snuggle up with!
- Water Ripples Crochet AfghanDon't you just love the way one small pebble can cause a huge ripple effect over a still lake? The Water Ripples Crochet Afghan mimics that beautiful sight. This is one of the prettiest simple crochet patterns you can find. A soft blue hugs your shoulder and transports you to a relaxing seaside getaway. Make your own today!
- Malibu Ripple AfghanLooking for a fun variation on the basic ripple crochet afghan? The Malibu Ripple Afghan is the perfect ripple pattern to try. Complete with a graphic chart and a few photos to help you along, you'll love the way this ripple afghan turns out. Great for fun and colorful summer days, this ripple afghan is as beachy as can be.
Find even more afghans to whip up by taking a look at the ideas found in: 26 Free Crochet Ripple Afghan Patterns
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Sea Spray Granny Baby Blanket
- Quiet Country Garden Throw
- Silk Cloud Yarn
- Fruit Stripe Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Beach House Granny Square Afghan
- Patriotic Partyghan
- Must-Make Crochet Temperature Afghan
- Cheerful Addison Granny Square
- Sunburst Round Baby Afghan
- Moss Crochet Stitch Tutorial