- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Sunny Skies Crochet Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
Celebrate wonderful weather with the Sunny Skies Crochet Afghan. Even on rainy days, this easy crochet afghan pattern will transport you to the summer time with its pale yellow, light blue, and white stripes. You'll want to sit out on the porch at sunset with this light and lacy afghan made of the shell stitch and the picot stitch. The pastel colors and lightness of this crochet afghan also make it a great gift for a mommy-to-be and her newborn to curl up in for a nap.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge4 rows 2 ; Shell and Picot 3
Finished Size45 x 51
- RED HEART Super Saver: 2 skeins each 0381 Light Blue, 0322 Pale Yellow, 0311 White
- Crochet Hook: 5.0 mm (US H-8) crochet hook or size needed for gauge
- Shell – 6 dc in space or stitch as indicated.
- Picot – (sc, ch 3, sc) in space or stitch as indicated
Note: Design is crocheted in multiples of 11 plus 4 chs.
Row 1 (RS): With blue ch 147, 3 dc in 4th ch from hook, ch 3, skip 4 chs, sc in next ch, ch 3, sc in next ch, *ch 3, skip 4 chs, Shell in next ch,
ch 3, skip 4 chs, sc in next ch, ch 3, sc in next ch, repeat from * across to last 5 chs, ch 3 skip 4 chs, 4 dc in last ch, turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first dc, ch 3, 2 dc in next ch 3 space ch 3, skip next ch 3 space, 2 dc in next ch 3 space, *ch 3, skip next 3 dc, sc in space before next dc, ch 3, 2 dc in next ch 3 space, ch 3, skip next ch 3 space, 2 dc in next ch 3 space, repeat from * across to last 4 dc, ch 3, skip
3 dc, sc in last dc, turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, 3 dc in same first sc, ch 3, skip next ch 3 space, Picot in next ch 3 space, *ch 3, skip next ch 3 space, Shell in next sc, ch 3, skip next ch 3 space, Picot in next ch 3 space, repeat from * across to last ch 3 space, ch 3, skip last ch 3 space, 4 dc in last sc, turn.
Row 4: Repeat Row 2 and fasten off.
Row 5: Join yellow in first stitch, ch 3 and continue with Row 3, turn.
Rows 6 – 76: Continue pattern repeating Rows 2 and 3 having 4 rows yellow, 4 rows white, 4 rows blue, turn after last row and do not fasten off.
Round 1: Work along top edge 6 dc in first sc, ch 1, Picot in next ch 3 space, *ch 2, 5 dc in next ch 3 space, ch 2, Picot in next sc, repeat from * across ending Picot in last ch 3 space, ch 1, 6 dc in last sc.
Work along side edge ch 1, Picot in first dc space, *ch 2, 3 dc in next dc space, ch 2, Picot in next dc space, repeat from * across ending ch 1, 6 dc in last dc space.
Work along bottom edge ch 1, Picot in first ch 4 space, *ch 2, 5 dc in next ch 3 space, ch 2, Picot in ch below Shell, repeat from * across ending ch 2, Picot in last ch 4 space.
Work along side edge ch 1, 6 dc in first dc space, ch 1, *Picot in next dc space, ch 2, 3 dc in next dc space, ch 2, repeat from * across ending ch 1, join to beginning dc and fasten off.
Round 2: Join yellow in ch 1 space before right corner 6 dc, work along top edge, ch 3, skip 3 dc, 3 dc in space before next dc, ch 3, sc in ch 1 space, *ch 3, 2 dc in ch 3 space, ch 3, sc in ch 2 space,
ch 3, 3 dc in center dc of 5 dc, ch 3, sc in ch 2 space, repeat from * across ending 2 dc in last ch 3 space, ch 3, sc in ch 1 space, ch 3, skip 3 dc (of corner), 3 dc in space before next dc, ch 3, sc in ch 1 space.
Work along side edge *ch 2, 2 dc in ch 3 space, ch 2, sc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in center dc of
3 dc, repeat from * across ending ch 2, sc in ch 1 space, ch 3, skip 3 dc, 3 dc in space before next dc. Continue pattern as established for bottom and side edge ending ch 2, join to beginning sc and fasten off.
Check out other easy and beginner afghan crochet patterns in our collection of 13 Free Afghan Crochet Patterns for Beginners!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Feb 19, 2018
Tried this craft? What did you think?
May 12, 2016
Very simple, laid back afghan. Thankful that the pattern is just right in front of the page. This is perfect for spring or summer with its light-weight and simple design.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Bohemian Lace Afghan
Embrace the lace and try the Bohemian Lace Afghan. Written in 3 different sizes, this lacy crochet pattern is versatile and great for… Continue reading: "Bohemian Lace Afghan"
- Contemporary Stash-Busting Blocks Throw
- Colorful Rainbow Sampler Blanket
- New Favorite Afghan
- Sunrise Sunset Crochet Afghan
- Ombre Arrows Crochet Afghan
- Plaid Planned Pooling Blanket
- Pine Tree Afghan Pattern
- 29 Crochet Shell Stitch Patterns
- It's All Greek To Me C2c Blanket
- Lazy Waves Crochet Blanket Pattern
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Adjust The Size Of A Crochet Blanket
- What Is Gauge In Crochet?
- How To Finish Off A Crochet Blanket
- Why Is The Starting Edge Of Crochet Bunched Together?
- How To Crochet Your Second Row
- How To Crochet Your First Row
- How-to Turn Your Crochet (with Mini Tutorial)
- Textured Crochet Fleece Blanket
- Corner To Corner C2c Mini Bean Stitch Square & Rectangle
- Quick & Easy: Crochet Throw Pattern
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions