26 Unique Crochet Stitches
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
We all know the crocodile stitch and the popcorn stitch and the shell stitch. But if you're reading this article, chances are you're looking to spice up your crochet projects with a bit of whimsy or dimension. So take a gander at these 26 Unique Crochet Stitches to be inspired by some of the most interesting newer crochet stitches hooked today. This collection of decorative crochet stitches will help you hook eye-catching afghans that draw gasps from all who behold them! Whether draped over the back of your couch or folded at the foot of your bed, the afghans you work up using these stitches will be rife with texture, elegance, and intrigue.
Each unique crochet stitch is presented with a tutorial that will walk you through step-by-step instructions, ensuring you master each stitch with ease. Some stitches are more difficult than others, but beginners looking for fun crochet stitches shouldn't shy away from these tutorials as there are plenty of easy and beginner unique stitches to try! You can work up a whole afghan or use these cool crochet stitches to add a festive or fancy border. Whatever your project goals, the unique crochet stitches listed below will help you achieve them.
Table of Contents
Unique Crochet Stitches
- Bargello Crochet Stitch Pattern
Named after the tops of European castles, the Bargello Crochet Stitch Pattern is a unique and useful stitch pattern. Can you see the resemblance? The written stitch pattern gives the sizes for a baby blanket all the way up to king size and beyond.
- Loopy Loops Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Loopy Loops Crochet Stitch Tutorial is the perfect way to learn a stitch that will be fun to make and show off. This stitch gets its name from the loops of yarn that jump out of your stitches and off of your project, adding great texture and a funky look.
- Spike Stitch Crochet Tutorial
Aptly named, the Spike Stitch is an incredibly unique crochet stitch that any avid hooker needs to try. You can make the most unusual crochet afghans with a stitch like this as well as other crochet projects like bags or scarves.
- Puff Spike Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Puff Spike Crochet Stitch is even cooler than it sounds. It's puffy. It's spikey. It's a snazzy new stitch that will add a unique aesthetic to any crochet project, whether you're hooking a whole afghan or just the border.
- Larksfoot Crochet Stitch Tutorial
There is no shortage of new crochet stitches to learn, and the Larksfoot Crochet Stitch Tutorial proves it. While most crochet patterns simply build upon previous rows, this pattern includes yarn loops that reach back into previous rows, looking a bit like claws.
- Picket Fence Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Picket Fence Crochet Stitch Tutorial helps you learn to crochet a unique stitch that is interesting to make and to behold. It’s fun when a stitch you make can resemble something in the real world, and this stitch really does look like a fence running across your fabric.
- How to Crochet the Twists and Turns Stitch
If you're feeling adventurous or simply want to try a new crochet stitch then learn How to Crochet the Twists and Turns Stitch. This crochet stitch pattern takes a bit of skill, but if you follow the step by step tutorial then you'll easily figure it out.
- Sedge Stitch Tutorial and Afghan Square
Don't just work up a boring dishcloth or crochet square, let's add some texture and interest to an otherwise mundane crochet task. The Sedge Stitch Tutorial and Afghan Square will show you how to crochet using a new stitch.
- Solid Shell Crochet Stitch Tutorial
If you'd like to branch out and try something new or simply want a refresher on a beloved technique, this Solid Shell Crochet Stitch Tutorial will help you add an updated beachy vibe to your next project no matter the time of year.
- Fancy Shells Stitch Tutorial and Granny Square Pattern
Learn how to make the Fancy Shells Stitch to put a unique twist on the traditional shell stitch. You'll be hooking up whole afghans of fancy shells once you watch the the step-by-step photo tutorial. Turn your living room into a day at the beach!
- Bow Ties Crochet Stitch Tutorial
Add a beautiful and stylish look to your next throw or afghan pattern with this Bow Ties Crochet Stitch Tutorial! The beginner crochet stitch uses a fun and intricate design that will look stunning in a larger project.
- Pretty Pebbles Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Pretty Pebbles Crochet Stitch Tutorial helps you give your projects great texture and appeal. This stitch creates small bobbles that pebble your project, as though a troupe of happy snails were parading across your fabric.
- Sirtaki Relief Crochet Stitch
The decorative Sirtaki Relief Crochet Stitch creates a textured double-sided fabric that is appealing to the touch and easy on the eyes. Almost shell-like in its effect, this decorative stitch will help you hook an afghan that reminds you of summer days.
- Lacy Puffs Crochet Stitch Tutorial
When you’ve been crocheting for a long time, sometimes you have to mix it up with different crochet stitches. The Lacy Puffs Crochet Stitch Tutorial will teach you how to crochet a fun pattern that creates a fabric with a great look and texture.
- Interweaving Cables Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Interweaving Cables Crochet Stitch Tutorial helps you learn to crochet a larger-than-life stitch. This crochet stitch design features interweaving rows of chains, looking like double Xs crossing the pattern’s surface.
- Double Wave Stitch and Granny Square Pattern
If you're ready for a different crochet stitch that's awesomely eye-catching, watch this step-by-step tutorial and try your hand at the Double Wave Stitch. Then practice your new skill by hooking a square.
- Chinese Puzzle Crochet Stitch Tutorial and Square
The Chinese Puzzle Crochet Stitch Tutorial will teach you how to crochet a fun, interlocking design that can be used for many crochet projects. This crochet stitch works up a fabric with a quirky, bumpy texture that you can create without much puzzling at all.
- Globe Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Globe Crochet Stitch Tutorial helps you learn to crochet a new and unique stitch that creates circles along your fabric. This beautiful crochet stitch can be used by itself in a crochet square, in combination with other stitches, or as an interesting edging.
- Jasmine Clusters Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Jasmine Clusters Crochet Stitch Tutorial helps you learn to crochet a very unique design that uses only a few stitches to make it dense and beautiful. This pattern is quick and easy so you’ll witness the fruits of your labor in no time!
- Third Dimension Crochet Stitch Tutorial
If you're looking for a new crochet stitch that combines visual interest with fun texture, the Third Dimension Crochet Stitch Tutorial is perfect for you and your next project. Hook up some 3D prettiness today!
- Tire Treads Crochet Stitch Tutorial
When you’ve been crocheting for a while, sometimes the normal stitch patterns can get a little boring. If you want a new, useful stitch, the Tire Treads Crochet Stitch Tutorial will help you mix up your crocheting life.
- Lucky Star Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Lucky Star Crochet Stitch Tutorial helps you learn to crochet a unique stitch that looks like stars or flowers or fireworks or beautiful sunbursts, depending on what color you use. This really is a gorgeous crochet stitch.
- Tipped Blocks Stitch Tutorial
Add a breezy and lace-like look to any crochet afghan after you take a look at this Tipped Blocks Stitch Tutorial! This easy crochet pattern is a delightful alternative to traditional crochet stitches and adds visual interest to any project.
- Graceful Creation Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Graceful Creation Crochet Stitch Tutorial creates a unique stitch with dense sections checkered with crocheted Vs. This pattern would be great as a crochet square in a larger afghan, in a baby blanket, or in a larger crochet throw.
- Crown Lace Stitch Pattern
The intricate Crown Lace Stitch Pattern is great for lightweight afghans and a variety of other decorative crochet projects. Treat yourself like a queen when you try your hand at this stitch and enjoy the look of this uniquely royal design!
- Spider Web Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Spider Web Crochet Stitch Tutorial is great if you want a unique open design to use in your next light afghan pattern. This stitch features crocheted diamonds held together by chains to resemble a spider web, or spiders themselves!
- Painted Daisy Puffagons
BONUS! What are Painted Daisy Puffagons, you ask? Top notch question! They're a floral motif created using the puff stitch, and they just might be the biggest bang for your hook, especially for beginners. Just look at how colorful and cute they are! And they're beyond easy to make, especially because they're like palm-sized granny squares that you crochet together to create a larger project. But motifs are a bit hard to categorize in crochet world, so let's just call these sweet puffagons your bonus to this list of 26 Unique Crochet Stitches!
What's your favorite unique crochet stitch? Share it with us in the comments below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Need a little something to brighten a room? This wonderful Tropical Pineapple Squares Crochet Blanket will do just that and bring you… Continue reading: "Tropical Pineapple Squares Crochet Blanket"
- Bobble Stitch Tutorial
- Mighty Ridge Crochet Afghan
- Unique Bavarian Crochet Stitch Tutorial
- Star Stitch Tutorial
- Beautiful Bavarian Square
- Charmingly Simple Crochet Stitch Tutorial
- 13 Basic Crochet Stitches & Patterns free eBook
- Diamond Wave Pattern | Crafting Happiness
- 28 Tunisian Stitch Crochet Afghan Patterns
- Vibrantly Vintage Crochet Edging Pattern
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Crochet 12-point Star Blanket
- Soothing Stripes Stroller Blanket
- Diamond Wave Pattern | Crafting Happiness
- Timeless Lacy Shell Crochet Blanket
- Simple Inspiring Crochet Blanket
- Crochet Fireside Throw Blanket
- Cozy Man Cave Throw
- Moss Stitch Baby Blanket
- Winter Holiday Season Colors Granny Square Afghan
- Chic Colorful Granny Square Throw
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions