- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Square Upon Square Throw
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
This stunning throw from Red Heart Yarns is perfect for using on a chilly afternoon or evening. Crochet granny squares with Red Heart Yarn to complete this free crochet afghan pattern. Use the diagram provided to join the squares together.
It's hard to believe that this is an easy crochet afghan pattern because of the stunning detail, but it is. The color combination is also gorgeous but easy to change up for your home decor color theme. Drape this throw over your couch or keep it as an effortless way to add a little warmth in any room of the house.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Throw measures 57” square.
RED HEART® “Soft Yarn®”:
- 4 Balls each 9520 Seafoam A
- 4 Balls of 4601 Off White B
- 2 Balls 9440 Light Grey Heather C
Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9].
Square = 5.75”.
CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
After the first square, all others are joined while working Rnd 5.
With A, ch 5; join with a slip st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 3, 15 dc in ring; join with a slip st in top of ch-3.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in same st as joining, [ch 3, sc in next dc] 15 times; hdc in first sc to join and form last space.
Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc over hdc, [ch 4, sc in next ch-3 space] 15 times; ch 1, hdc in first sc to join and form last space.
Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc over hdc, * 7 dc in next space, sc in next space **, [ch 2, sc in next space] twice; repeat from * to last space, end at **; ch 2, sc in last space, ch 2; join with a slip st in first sc.
Rnd 5: Ch 1, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in first sc, * ch 2, skip 2 dc, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in next dc, (sc, ch 4, sc) all in next dc, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in next dc, ch 2, skip 2 dc, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in next sc, sc in next ch-2 space, ch 2, sc in next ch-2 space **, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in next sc; repeat from * around, end at **; join in first sc. Fasten off. You will be making 39 more squares with A, 40 with
B, and 20 with C, all joined following diagram for placement by working Rnd 5 as follows:
Next Square-Joining Rnd 5:
Ch 1, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in first sc, ch 2, skip 2 dc, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in next dc, sc in next dc; ch 2, drop loop from hook, insert hook in corresponding ch-4 loop of completed square and into loop again, draw loop through, ch 2, sc in same dc – corner joined; sc in next dc; ch 1, drop loop, insert hook into corresponding ch-2 of completed square and into loop again, draw loop through, ch 1, sc in same st – ch-2 space joined; ch 2, skip 2 dc, sc in next sc, join next ch-2 space, sc in next ch-2 space; ch 1, drop loop, insert hook into corresponding ch-2 of completed square and into loop again, draw loop through, ch 1 – center ch-2 space joined; sc in next ch-2 space, sc in next sc, join next ch-2 space, ch 2, skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, join next ch-2 space, sc in next dc, join next corner – one side joined; * (sc, ch 2, sc) all in next dc, ch 2, skip 2 dc, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in next sc, sc in next ch-2 space, ch 2, sc in next ch-2 space **, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in next sc, ch 2, skip 2 dc, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in next dc, (sc, ch 4, sc) all in next dc; repeat from * around, end at **; join. Fasten off.
Continue to make and join squares following the diagram. Weave in ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Sep 26, 2018
I love this Square Upon Square Throw. The squares are easy to make but tedious. The colors are readily available though and the stitches are easy to do. I like how it looks on top of the sofa.
Apr 17, 2017
I love the colors and the lacy look of this throw. Gorgeous!
Mar 18, 2014
I had trouble with my crocheted beginning edges laying flat. I found out it was how I was using my hook. When making a stitch that's going to be an edge I push my loop of yarn past the hooked tip and down to the rounder fat part of the Crochet hook. It makes the loop a bit bigger, and gives the edge some breathing room.
piccirillon 801887 4
Jan 21, 2014
wish there was a tutorial,,
piccirillon 801887 4
Jan 21, 2014
having a problem with it not laying flat please help
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Crocheted Christening Blanket
There's no better way to welcome a little one into the world than by crocheting a baby blanket. The Crocheted Christening Blanket is… Continue reading: "Crocheted Christening Blanket"
- Butter Mints Tunisian Crochet Blanket
- Smoothie Squares Crochet Blanket
- Wintertide Sampler Throw Pattern
- Textured Crochet Fleece Blanket
- Golden Years Crochet Blanket
- Simple Forgiving Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Make it Quick Afghan
- Twilight Shells Throw
- Gold Coast Lapghan
- Minion-Inspired Crochet Baby Cocoon
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Adjust The Size Of A Crochet Blanket
- What Is Gauge In Crochet?
- How To Finish Off A Crochet Blanket
- Why Is The Starting Edge Of Crochet Bunched Together?
- How To Crochet Your Second Row
- How To Crochet Your First Row
- How-to Turn Your Crochet (with Mini Tutorial)
- Textured Crochet Fleece Blanket
- Corner To Corner C2c Mini Bean Stitch Square & Rectangle
- Quick & Easy: Crochet Throw Pattern
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions