This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- see all comments
"Is there any way to get a written pattern?"
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Moon And Stars Tunisian Crochet Blanket
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
"Night sky can appear in so many ways depending on the time, season, weather and this ever-changing scenery was an inspiration behind this design. This blanket is a beginner friendly Tunisian crochet project introducing several different techniques used in Tunisian crochet that can be a great stepping stone to learning this crochet style. The pattern is written for toddler/ small child size of blanket; however the design can be modified easily by adding or reducing star or moon sections vertically or horizontally to make the final blanket larger or smaller according to your specific need. "
NotesThe blanket is crocheted flat with RS always facing. It consists of three horizontal sections of Star or Moon patterns (each is 50 stitches x 50 rows of Tunisian simple stitches large) that are surrounded by border (10 stitches x 10 rows) of Honeycomb stitch (Please see Moon and Stars Tunisian Crochet Blanket schematic) in alternating colours of A, B, and C.
The charts are worked flat. The Star pattern is repeated 3 times horizontally and 3 times vertically when completing the blanket, except for the first horizontal segment where it is repeated twice. The Moon pattern is crocheted once in the bottom right corner. There are two versions of the Moon pattern to choose from, one off centred (V1) and one aligned centrally (V2). The blanket pictured throughout this pattern was crocheted using the Moon pattern V1.
The Moon and Star patterns colourwork can be crocheted in two different ways depending on the preference. It can be done either as stranded colourwork or intarsia. If using stranded colourwork, the background colour is carried over and wrapped around the pattern colour every 2-3 stitches to avoid loose floats. It is important to keep the passive yarn taut but not too tight to avoid distorting the Star or Moon pattern. When using intarsia, a separate bobbin for each colour is required and only 1 colour is used at a time with the inactive colour left hanging until the next colour change.
It is important to lock the strands of yarn when changing colours in either of these methods (Please see Stitch guide).
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(3) Light/DK (21-24 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeBlocked Gauge: 15 sts x 14 rows= 10 x 10 cm (4 x 4 in) over tss
Finished Size127 cm x 137 cm (approx. 50 x 54 in)
- Stylecraft Special DK (100% Acrylic | DK | 100 g (3.5 oz) = 295 m (323 yds), Apricot (A) #1026 3 skeins, Turquoise (B) #1068 3 skeins, Silver (C) #1203 3 skeins
- Tunisian crochet hook size 6 mm (J-10) with cable (at least 100 cm (40 in)) or size to obtain the gauge
- Tapestry needle
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
A Blanket of Roses Afghan
This crochet flower pattern is from 1984, but A Blanket of Roses Afghan is timeless. Add a touch of femininity to your decor with one… Continue reading: "A Blanket of Roses Afghan"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Crochet Textured Granny Square Block
- Agate Beach Chevron Blanket
- Cozy Corners Afghan
- Crochet Moss Stitch Square Blanket Made In The Rounds
- Gia Afghan
- Crochet Tootie Fruity Stroller Blanket
- Four Colour Baby Blanket
- Jennifer E Ryan
- Ombre Bubble Baby Blanket
- Colorida Hammock Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions