We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Add rustic charm to almost any room in your home when you create the Four-Patch Crochet Throw! With its use of yarn in bold and vibrant colors, this crochet throw pattern is one that will grab your attention. The intermediate crochet pattern has it all, including a delightfully elegant border and plenty of splashes of color. The crochet blanket is the perfect size for cuddling while watching TV, too. Charming as can be, this crochet throw will be a welcome addition to your favorite couch or other sitting area. You will want to pack up this blanket and take it with you to your next outdoor sporting event, too! A diagram for the pattern follows the instructions.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge12 sc = 4" [10 cm]; 15 rows = 4" [10 cm] in single crochet. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeThrow measures 48" [122 cm] wide x 59" [150 cm] long
- RED HEART® Soft®: 3 balls each 9440 Light Grey Heather A, 9274 Biscuit B, 9263 Cinnabar C, 9010 Charcoal D
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
Crochet additional warm and beautiful blankets when you explore the patterns found in our free eBook 6 Tunisian Crochet Blanket Patterns free eBook
Throw is worked diagonally beginning in first corner. Pattern st is worked in blocks of (slip st, ch 3, 3 dc) all in each ch-3 space of each block of previous row. Each row will have one more block until Row 50. Then one block is added along one side and one block is decreased along opposite side to make a rectangle. At end of Row 70, one block will be decreased along both sides until one block is left on last row worked.
Color changes are made following a chart. Each square of chart represents one block. For ease in following chart color changes, tilt chart diagonally at a 45-degree angle, beginning at first square in lower right hand corner. Use separate ball of yarn for each large block of color. Pick up new yarn from under old to twist yarns and prevent holes. Carry colors not in use loosely along top of row for short distances, working sts over carried yarn to hide. When changing colors, work last step of last st of previous color with new color.
Block: (Slip st, ch 3, 3 dc) all in ch-3 space.
Shell: Work 5 dc in indicated stitch.
Increase Block: Ch 5, dc in 3rd ch from hook and in next 2 ch.
Decrease Block: Slip st in each of 3 dc of first block
With A, ch 5.
Row 1 (Right Side): Dc in 3rd ch from hook and in next 2 ch – 1 Block.
Row 2: Ch 5, turn, dc in 3rd ch from hook and in next 2 ch, (slip st, ch 3, 3 dc) in ch-3 space of previous row – 2 Blocks.
Row 3: Ch 5, turn. dc in 3rd ch from hook and in next 2 ch, [(slip st, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch-3 space of previous row] 2 times – 3 Blocks.
Row 4: Turn, work Increase Block, work Block in ch-3 space of each Block across – 4 Blocks.
Row 5-10: Following chart for color changes, repeat Row 4 for pattern st – 10 Blocks on last row worked.
Row 11: Change to B and work Increase Block, change to A, work Block in next 9 Blocks, change to B and work last Block – 11 Blocks.
Rows 12-50: Following chart for color changes, repeat Row 4 – 50 Blocks on last row worked.
Row 51 (Right Side): Following chart for color changes, repeat Row 4 – 51 Blocks.
Row 52: Turn, following chart for color changes, work Decrease Block, work Block in each Block across – 50 Blocks.
Rows 53-70: Repeat Rows 51-52 – 50 Blocks on last row worked.
Rows 71-120: Repeat Row 52 – 1 Block on last row worked. Fasten off.
Round 1: With right side facing, join D with a sc between any 2 Blocks, *[ch 2, sc in space between next 2 Blocks] to next corner, (sc, ch 3, sc) all in same space; repeat from * around, [ch 2, sc in space between next 2 Blocks] to first sc, slip st in first sc.
Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), *2 dc in ch-2 space, dc in sc, repeat from * around, working (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in each corner ch-3 space, slip st in top of beginning ch-3. Fasten off.
Round 3: With right side facing, join A in any dc with a slip st, ch 3, dc in each dc around, working (dc, ch 1, dc) in each corner ch-1 space, slip st in top of beginning ch-3. Fasten off.
Round 4: With B, repeat Round 3. Fasten off.
Round 5: Join C in any corner ch-1 space with a slip st, ch 3, 4 dc in same space, *skip next dc, sc in next dc, skip 2 dc, Shell in next dc; repeat from * around, working Shell in each corner ch-1 space.
Weave in ends.
Click here for a larger version of the photo below.
Click here for a larger version of the diagram below.
- A, B, C
- Color A, B, C
- double crochet
- single crochet
- [ ]
- work directions in brackets the number of times specified
- ( )
- work directions in parenthesis the number of times specified
- * or **
- repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated
Get warm and comfortable when you make these crochet blanket patterns! You'll want to get wrapped up in the patterns you'll find in our collection of 11 Cozy Crochet Blanket Patterns for the Fireside
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Ridiculously Cozy Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Magical Butterfly Throw
- Ridiculously Easy Crochet Afghan
- How to Crochet an Afghan in Kaleidoscope Color
- Comforting One-Color Crochet Throw
- Make it Quick Afghan
- Circular Fall Mandala Crochet Throw
- Simply Seashell Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Beautiful Beginner Crochet Throw
- Domino Crochet Bobble Stitch Throw
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Popping Posts Crochet Throw Blanket
- C2c Dog Blanket
- Ocean Paradise Crochet Throw Blanket
- C2c Winter Blanket
- Two Row Repeat Crochet Blanket With Chunky Yarn
- Christmas Blanket
- Holiday Snuggles Throw Blanket
- Christmas Sloth
- Super Chunky Striped Shay Afghan
- C2c Fall Vibes Square
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions