8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Earth Day Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
Go green with this Earth Day Afghan! This eco-friendly afghan uses Caron International's Simply Soft Eco yarn, making this a smart choice for those looking out for the environment. Choose whatever colors you want, but we love these classic earth tones for this free crochet afghan pattern.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- Yarn: Caron International's Simply Soft Eco (80% Acrylic, 20% NatureSpun™ Polyester): 8 oz A, 15 oz B, 12 oz C. Shown in: #0034 Black (A), #0024 Ocean Mist (B) #0020 Forest Floor (C),
- Crochet Hook: US size I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook, or size to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle
45"/114 cm wide x 50"/127 cm long
In stitch pattern, 12 sts and 12 rows = 4"/10 cm. Gauge is not critical for this project.
Chain (ch), Double crochet (dc), Single crochet (sc), Slip stitch (slip st).
To change color at end of row: Work last stitch of old color to last yarn over, yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete stitch. Drop old color, continue work with new color. You may fasten off the old color or carry it loosely up the side of the piece. If you choose to carry unused colors up the side of the piece, take care to cover these strands when working the border.
With A, chain 140.
Row 1 (RS): Sc in second ch from hook and in each remaining ch across, turn—139 sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first sc, *ch 3, sk next sc, sc in next 3 sc; repeat from * to last 2 sc, ch 3, sk next sc, sc in last sc, changing to B, turn—34 3-sc groups.
Row 3: With B, ch 3 (counts as dc, ch 1), *3 dc in center sc of next 3-sc group, ch 1; repeat from * to last sc, dc in last sc, turn.
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first dc, ch 1, *sc in next 3 dc, ch1; repeat from * to turning ch, sc in second ch of turning ch, changing to A, turn.
Row 5: With A, ch 1, sc in first sc, *sc around ch-3 sp of Row 2 and ch-1 sps of Rows 3 and 4 simultaneously, sc in next 3 sc; repeat from * to last ch-1 sp, sc around ch-3 sp of Rows and ch-1 sps of Rows 3 and 4 simultaneously, sc in last sc, turn.
Row 6: Repeat Row 2, changing to C in last st.
Rows 7 and 8: With C, repeat Rows 3 and 4.
Rows 9–149: Maintaining color sequence of 2 rows with A, 2 rows with B, 2 rows with A, 2 rows with C; repeat Rows 5–8, then repeat Row 5 once more.
Row 150: Continuing with A, ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn. Fasten off B and C, do not fasten off A.
Rnd 1: Continuing with A, ch 1, sc evenly around all edges of afghan, working 3 sc in each corner; join with slip st in first sc.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, working in back loops only, sc in each sc around, working 3 sc in center sc of each 3-sc corner; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Using yarn needle, weave in all ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
May 03, 2013
This is the greatest idea for an afghan for earth day. I have the pattern, it is next in line! I am knitting one of those modular diagonal square afghans right now and going to online school working on my degree, only manage a little yarn work a day, but I am working with yarn, at least and will start the Earth day afghan soon!
Apr 27, 2013
This looks plenty easy and like fun. Would make a nice gift for the man in your life too!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
3D Crochet Flower Granny Square
Add some texture to your granny square afghan by inserting a few of these 3D Crochet Flower Granny Squares in the mix. Continue reading: "3D Crochet Flower Granny Square"
- Beginner Throw (free Crochet Pattern)
- Crochet Pattern: Modern Throw
- Simple Forgiving Crochet Blanket Pattern
- A Cozy Throw (free Crochet Pattern)
- Keeping it Classic Crochet Afghan Pattern
- Golden Years Crochet Blanket
- Ridiculously Easy Crochet Afghan
- Stellar Patchwork Crochet Blanket
- Rainbow Glass Spectrum Afghan
- Arizona Sunset Crochet Blanket Pattern
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Color Burst Blanket Square
- How To Crochet The Granny Spike Stitch
- C2C Moss Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern
- A Fast Throw Pattern, Free Crochet Pattern
- A Cozy Throw (free Crochet Pattern)
- How To Crochet Easter Bunny Applique
- Adjust The Size Of A Crochet Blanket
- What Is Gauge In Crochet?
- How To Finish Off A Crochet Blanket
- Why Is The Starting Edge Of Crochet Bunched Together?
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions