- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Best Darn Yarn Tenders
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
By Susan Kerin, Skerin Knitting and Crochet
Disclaimer, the BDYT is not affiliated with Darn Good Yarns, a registered trademark of Darn Good Yarns, Inc.
The “BDYT” – “Best Darn Yarn Tenders” are exactly what they say. These are my all-time list toppers of knitting helpers in my bag. There’s nothing like starting a project with every yarn strand in place.
I use them on skeins, cones, and center-pull balls of yarn. I never worry about what is happening in my bag when the yarn tenders are doing their job as my project yarn decompresses and becomes loosey-goosey. We all know that can lead to tangle challenges, especially at inopportune times “in the middle of a row”! Here, supported yarn remains in the tenders and tangles are prevented. Most of the time I don’t even realize when I am pulling the last length of a skein because the tender has done its job to keep the skein upright and tangles have been prevented.
When I’m working a project of many yarn colors, the tenders become the automatic yarn organizers for the whole project when they are all nestled together, each holding a different color. They’re particularly terrific when stash-busting, especially when making scrap afghans. They’re perfect for single or multi-slotted yarn containers, since the tenders hold skeins, balls or cones in their original positions.
Sometimes new yarn has that nasty yarn vomit already in the skein when you bring it home. After this new yarn is in its tender and the first pull results in the big glob coming out, there is an easy fix. First, I pull the whole glob completely out from the center and then untangle the manufacturer-created knot. Without cutting the yarn, with the beginning end I next wrap a center-pull ball and wind until meeting the yarn coming from the tender center. Then I easily insert the ball into the top of the tender.
When I start a new project the first thing that gets done is to corral my yarn skeins, cones, or center-pull balls and insert each into its own tender. After project completion, I use them to keep my leftover yarn supply neat and tidy and in place when stashing. What a must-have at www.SkerinKnittingandCrochet.com!
Read NextRed Heart Dreamy Yarn
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
3D Crochet Flower Granny Square
Add some texture to your granny square afghan by inserting a few of these 3D Crochet Flower Granny Squares in the mix. Continue reading: "3D Crochet Flower Granny Square"
- Chance to win Red Heart Dreamy Yarn!
- Stitch Nation by Debbie Stoller Full o' Sheep
- Chance to win Red Heart Boutique Sashay Team Spirit Yarn!
- Enter to win a set of Furls Crochet Candy Shop Hooks!
- Patons Divine Yarn
- Win Lion Brand Ice Cream Yarn!
- Win Bernat Softee Baby Chunky Yarn
- Chance to win Heal the Wool Yarn!
- Everything Mary Folding Knitting Caddy
- Enter to Win the Cozy Heartland Yarn Bundle!
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Color Burst Blanket Square
- How To Crochet The Granny Spike Stitch
- C2C Moss Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern
- A Fast Throw Pattern, Free Crochet Pattern
- A Cozy Throw (free Crochet Pattern)
- How To Crochet Easter Bunny Applique
- Adjust The Size Of A Crochet Blanket
- What Is Gauge In Crochet?
- How To Finish Off A Crochet Blanket
- Why Is The Starting Edge Of Crochet Bunched Together?
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions