Best Darn Yarn Tenders
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
By Susan Kerin, Skerin Knitting and Crochet
Disclaimer, the BDYT is not affiliated with Darn Good Yarns, a registered trademark of Darn Good Yarns, Inc.
The “BDYT” – “Best Darn Yarn Tenders” are exactly what they say. These are my all-time list toppers of knitting helpers in my bag. There’s nothing like starting a project with every yarn strand in place.
I use them on skeins, cones, and center-pull balls of yarn. I never worry about what is happening in my bag when the yarn tenders are doing their job as my project yarn decompresses and becomes loosey-goosey. We all know that can lead to tangle challenges, especially at inopportune times “in the middle of a row”! Here, supported yarn remains in the tenders and tangles are prevented. Most of the time I don’t even realize when I am pulling the last length of a skein because the tender has done its job to keep the skein upright and tangles have been prevented.
When I’m working a project of many yarn colors, the tenders become the automatic yarn organizers for the whole project when they are all nestled together, each holding a different color. They’re particularly terrific when stash-busting, especially when making scrap afghans. They’re perfect for single or multi-slotted yarn containers, since the tenders hold skeins, balls or cones in their original positions.
Sometimes new yarn has that nasty yarn vomit already in the skein when you bring it home. After this new yarn is in its tender and the first pull results in the big glob coming out, there is an easy fix. First, I pull the whole glob completely out from the center and then untangle the manufacturer-created knot. Without cutting the yarn, with the beginning end I next wrap a center-pull ball and wind until meeting the yarn coming from the tender center. Then I easily insert the ball into the top of the tender.
When I start a new project the first thing that gets done is to corral my yarn skeins, cones, or center-pull balls and insert each into its own tender. After project completion, I use them to keep my leftover yarn supply neat and tidy and in place when stashing. What a must-have at www.SkerinKnittingandCrochet.com!
Read NextBernat Mega Bulky Yarn
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
You will be absolutely amazed by how fast you can work up this Quick Corner to Corner Crochet Baby Blanket! Corner to corner patterns… Continue reading: "Quick Corner to Corner Crochet Baby Blanketvideocam"
- Bernat Mega Bulky Yarn
- Win Lion Brand Ice Cream Yarn!
- Enter to win Red Heart Baby Hugs Yarn!
- Enter to win Mixtape Yarn!
- Chance to win Landscapes Yarn!
- Chance to win Premier Parfait Layers Yarn!
- Everything Mary Folding Knitting Caddy
- Enter to win a set of Furls Crochet Candy Shop Hooks!
- Lion Brand Silky Twist Yarn
- Win the Darn Good Yarn Assortment Giveaway!
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Lamb Stitch Stripes Section
- Basic Crochet Animal Face Applique One Pattern For All
- Chocolate Waffle Crochet Blanket
- Raised Square Crochet Blanket Motif
- Quick And Easy Crochet Texture Blanket
- Harbor Mist Incredibly Easy Blanket Pattern
- How Do You Crochet A Half Solid Hexagon Without Gaps And Holes
- Single Crochet Square Motif Pattern
- How To Make A Pointed Crochet Solid Half Hexagon
- How Do You Make A Easy Crochet Plaid Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions