How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
Primary Color Checkerboard Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Need an easy crochet pattern that will stand out from the crowd? This easy afghan pattern has unique crochet motifs and a vibrant checkerboard detail. Not only is this a beautiful DIY blanket but it's also a quick crochet project to work up. Bring more color into your home with this beginner's afghan pattern.
From the Blogger: "I am a huge fan of crochet motifs. I love the portability and I also enjoy using up odds and ends from my stash. This simple motif pattern creates a vibrant blanket. These 4 (10 cm) motifs work up quickly. Customize the blanket by using more or fewer colors."
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeMotif = 4 (10 cm) square in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Finished SizeBlanket: Stroller (Baby, Twin, Double, Queen, California King).
Red Heart Super Saver (7 oz/198 g/364 yds/333 m/100 % acrylic) in Blue (CA), Cherry Red (CB), and Bright Yellow (CC), or any medium weight yarn.
Stroller Blanket: 1 skein each in CA, CB, and CC, or approximately 290 yd (265 m) ea in CA and CB and 350 yd (320 m) in CC.
Baby Blanket: 2 skeins each in CA, CB, and CC, or approximately 460 yd (420 m) ea in CA and CB and 540 yd (493 m) in CC.
Twin Blanket: 4 skeins each in CA, CB, and CC, or approximately 1,230 yd (1,124 m) ea in CA and CB and 1,370 yd (1,252 m) in CC.
Double Blanket: 5 skeins each in CA, CB, and CC, or approximately 1,650 yd (1,508 m) ea in CA and CB and 1,780 yd (1,627 m) in CC.
Queen Blanket: 6 skeins each in CA, CB, and CC, or approximately 1,930 yd (1,764 m) ea in CA and CB and 2,090 yd (1,911 m) in CC.
California King Blanket: 7 skeins each in CA, CB, and CC, or approximately 2,350 yd (2,148 m) ea in CA and CB and 2,530 yd (2,313 m) in CC.
- US Size H-8 (5 mm) crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
Finished Sizes Blanket: Stroller (Baby, Twin, Double, Queen, California King). Stroller Blanket (pictured): 29 (73.5 cm) x 37 (94 cm). Baby Blanket: 37 (94 cm) x 45 (114 cm). Twin Blanket: 49 (124.5 cm) x 89 (226 cm). Double Blanket: 65 (165 cm) x 89 (226 cm). Queen Blanket: 73 (185.5) x 93 (236 cm). California King Blanket: 85 (216 cm) x 97 (246.5 cm).
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions