8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Festive Step Ladder Throw
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
Get ready for the holidays with the Festive Step Ladder Throw! If you're looking for a totally unique throw to snuggle up with this holiday season, then this pattern is definitely for you. Using a classic holiday color scheme of green, red, white, and gold, this crochet afghan creates the unique step ladder design. With each step a different color, it turns into a colorful crochet afghan full of modern flair. This is one crochet afghan pattern you don't want to miss!
Crochet HookM/13 or 9 mm hook
Yarn Weight(6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)
- Bernat® Blanket™ (5.3 oz/150 g; 108 yds/98 m): Contrast A Pine Bough (86242) 2 balls, Contrast B Cranberry (86705) 2 balls, Contrast C Sugar Cookie (86009) 2 balls, Contrast D Caramel (86012) 2 balls.
- Size U.S. M/13 (9 mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge.
Measurements: Approx 43" x 55" [109 x 139.5 cm].
Gauge: 6 dc and 3 rows = 4" [10 cm].
- Afghan is worked sideways.
- Always beg each row with RS facing.
- Do not turn at end of row.
- Ch 3 at beg of row counts as dc throughout.
With A, work 1 row.
With B, work 1 row.
With C, work 1 row.
With D, work 1 row.
These 4 rows form Stripe Pat.
With A, ch 87.
1st row: (RS). 1 dc in 4th ch from hook. 1 dc in each ch to end of chain. Fasten off. 85 dc.
2nd row: (RS). Join B to top of first ch 3. Ch 3. Working in back loops, 1 dc in each dc to end of row. Fasten off.
3rd row: (RS). Join C to top of ch 3. Ch 3. Working in back loops, 1 dc in each of next 3 dc. 1 dtr in rem front loop of next st 2 rows below. *1 dc in each of next 4 dc. 1 dtr in rem front loop of next st 2 rows below. Rep from * to end of row. Fasten off.
4th row: (RS). Join D to top of ch 3. Ch 1 (does not count as st). 1 dtr in rem front loop of first st 2 rows below. Working in back loops, 1 dc in each of next 4 sts. *1 dtr in rem front loop of next st 2 rows below. 1 dc in each of next 4 sts. Rep from * to end of row. Fasten off.
5th row: (RS). Join A to first dtr. Ch 3. *1 dtr in rem front loop of next st 2 rows below. Working in back loops, 1 dc in each of next 4 sts. Rep from * to last 4 sts. 1 dtr in rem front loop of next st 2 rows below. 1 dc in each of last 3 dc. Fasten off.
6th row: (RS). Join B to top of first ch 3. Ch 3. Working in back loops, 1 dc in next dtr. *1 dtr in rem front loop of next st 2 rows below. 1 dc in each of next 4 sts. Rep from * to last 3 sts. 1 dtr in rem front loop of next st 2 rows below. 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. Fasten off.
7th row: (RS). Join C to top of first ch 3. Ch 3. Working in back loops, 1 dc in each of next 2 sts. *1 dtr in rem front loop of next st 2 rows below. 1 dc in each of next 4 sts. Rep from * to last 2 sts. 1 dtr in rem front loop of next st 2 rows below. 1 dc in last dc. Fasten off. First 7 rows of Stripe Pat are complete.
Keeping cont of Stripe Pat, rep 3rd to 7th rows for Step Ladder Pat until work from beg measures 43" [109 cm]. Fasten off.
Read NextSnow Bunny Crochet Blanket Pattern
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Oct 24, 2018
Yes, the stitches came out looking like ladders. Very cleverly designed to achieve that ladder look. Nice!
Oct 20, 2018
Wow what a beautiful pattern this Festive Step Ladder Throw is. I have to research how to do the dtr stitch. I don't believe I have ever done it before. I'm hoping it isn't to hard of a stitch to do. I really like the colors used and hope to find a yarn to make this one. Thank you so much for sharing this free crochet throw pattern.
Nov 05, 2017
I am unable to find the yarn recommended in this pattern in these colors either online or in stores.
Nov 06, 2017
Hi kathleenia 7912048, It's possible the yarn is no longer available in these colorways. However, this pattern would work up well in any color, or in a different super bulky yarn in similar colors to those above. I hope that helps! --Kaitlin, AFCAP Editor
Sep 15, 2016
I really wish that all sites with free patterns would include the print/pdf button. I woul rather save the pattern on my iPad than waste paper printing it. I always seem to loose the printed one.
Jul 31, 2015
I don't get what it means that at the end of Row 1 your don't turn your work. HOW can you always have the RS facing you? Confused.
lisafaryadi 162069 3
Aug 03, 2015
I'm thinking that because every row is fastened off, you just join the next color with the right side facing you.
Oct 19, 2015
Great little tutorial here. -) https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-zHl9LKwlY
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Bohemian Lace Afghan
Embrace the lace and try the Bohemian Lace Afghan. Written in 3 different sizes, this lacy crochet pattern is versatile and great for… Continue reading: "Bohemian Lace Afghan"
- Snow Bunny Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Vintage Christmas Poinsettia Throw
- 17 Snowflake Afghan Patterns
- Christmas Cheer Crochet Afghan
- Make a Joyful Noise Afghan
- Old Fashioned Evergreen Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Christmas Flower Motif Throw
- Suzy Snowflake Afghan
- Cozy Yuletide Squares Blanket
- Snowflake Afghan
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Adjust The Size Of A Crochet Blanket
- What Is Gauge In Crochet?
- How To Finish Off A Crochet Blanket
- Why Is The Starting Edge Of Crochet Bunched Together?
- How To Crochet Your Second Row
- How To Crochet Your First Row
- How-to Turn Your Crochet (with Mini Tutorial)
- Textured Crochet Fleece Blanket
- Corner To Corner C2c Mini Bean Stitch Square & Rectangle
- Quick & Easy: Crochet Throw Pattern
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions