- see all comments
"Is there any way to get a written pattern?"
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Shaded Shells Throw
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
The Shaded Shells Throw is a beautiful gradient crochet afghan pattern. The easy shell stitch softens the color changes to create a lovely design for your home. The ombre print color moves from light to dark and back again to create a unique effect you don't see in most free crochet afghan patterns. This throw is ideal for crocheters interested in an easy pattern they don't have to put much thought into. Once you get on a roll, you will have a wonderful new shell stitch blanket to wrap around your shoulders on a cool evening. This is the perfect afghan to grab when you want to relax on the sofa with a good book and a warm drink.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeIn pattern, (sc, 5 dc, sc, 5 dc, sc) = 4" [10 cm]; 8 rows = 4" [10 cm]. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeThrow measures about 45 x 58" [114.5 x 147.5 cm]
- RED HEART® Super Saver Ombre™: 4 skeins 3987 Cocoa
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 5mm [US H-8]
- Yarn needle
Looking for even more cozy crochet throw patterns? Check out these
dec (decrease) = [Yarn over and draw up a loop in next st, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook] 5 times, yarn over and draw through all 6 loops on hook.
Row 1: Work 2 dc in 4th ch from hook (3 skipped ch count as first dc), *skip next 3 ch, sc in next ch, skip next 3 ch, 5 dc in next ch; repeat from * to last 8 ch, skip next 3 ch, sc in next ch, skip next 3 ch, 3 dc in last ch—Twenty-two 5-dc groups, 23 sc, and a 3-dc group at beginning and end of row.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in first dc, ch 3, dec, *ch 3, sc in next dc, ch 3, dec; repeat from * to beginning ch-3, ch 3, sc in top of beginning ch-3—23 dec, 24 sc, and 46 ch-3 spaces.
Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), turn, 2 dc in first sc, skip next ch-3 space, sc in top of next dec, *skip next ch-3 space, 5 dc in next sc, skip next ch-3 space, sc in top of next dec; repeat from * to last ch-3 space, skip last ch-3 space, 3 dc in last sc.
Rows 4-109: Repeat Rows 2 and 3 fiftythree times.
Row 110: Repeat Row 2.
Do not fasten off.
Click image to enlarge
Working in ends of rows down side of throw, adjusting stitches as needed to keep work flat; ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in end of Row 110, [2 dc in end of next row, dc in end of next row] to last row, 2 dc in end of last row; working along opposite side of foundation ch, 3 dc in first ch, [2 dc in next ch-3 space, dc in ch opposite next sc, 2 dc in next ch-3 space, dc in ch opposite next 5-dc group] 22 times, 2 dc in next ch-3 space, dc in ch opposite next sc, 2 dc in next ch-3 space, 3 dc in last ch; working in ends of rows along next side of throw, 2 dc in end of first row, [dc in end of next row, 2 dc in end of next row] to last row, 2 dc in end of last row; working across Row 110, 3 dc in first sc (same sc as last dc worked), [2 dc in next ch-3 space, dc in next dec, 2 dc in next ch-3 space, dc in next sc] 22 times, 2 dc in next ch-3 space, dc in next dec, 2 dc in next ch-3 space, 3 dc in last st; join. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Click image to enlarge
- double crochet
- single crochet
- repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
- work directions in brackets the number of times specified
For all the colorful crochet afghan patterns you can dream of, take a look at this Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans free eBook
Why do you love shell stitch?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
New Favorite Afghan
The New Favorite Afghan is crocheted in 20 blocks that are sewn together at the very end. The classic look of crochet squares is taken… Continue reading: "New Favorite Afghan"
- Ridiculously Easy Crochet Afghan
- Little Bit of Everything Afghan
- Cottage Vibes Throw
- Beautiful Beginner Crochet Throw
- Fall Foliage Afghan
- Classic Striped Puff Stitch Crochet Pattern
- Plum Ribbon Afghan
- Pizza Party Crochet Snuggle Sack
- Progressive Pattern Stitch Afghan
- Quick & Easy: Crochet Throw Pattern
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Four Colour Baby Blanket
- Jennifer E Ryan
- Ombre Bubble Baby Blanket
- Colorida Hammock Blanket
- Sunrise Stripes Baby Blanket
- Staggered Shells Baby Blanket Shawl
- Melissa Throw
- Super Easy Crochet Bow Tie
- Crochet Summer Baby Blanket
- Crochet A Blanket With Spiked Sedge Stitch
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions