How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
The One-Eyed Purple People Heater is probably our new favorite crocheted afghan ever. Made using Red Heart's Soft Classic yarn, this free pattern is surprisingly simple to crochet because you actually crochet the motifs together as you go, so there is no sewing required. Just 2 skeins of each color yarn is used to work up this crochet afghan pattern (a total of six skeins). Next time you're ready to curl up on the couch, make sure you have this lacy afghan on hand to keep you company! This cozy blanket measures 42 inches by 54 inches when complete.
Special thanks to AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns user Elk River Rancher for the name suggestion!
- RED HEART Soft 2 balls each 3729 Grape A, 9440 Lt Grey Heather B and 2515 Turquoise C
- Susan Bates Crochet Hook:
- 5.5mm [US I-9]
GAUGE:Square = 6” [15cm].
CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge
A, B, C = Color A, B, C;
ch = chain;
dc = double crochet;
mm = millimeters;
sc = single
crochet; st(s) = stitch(es);
yo = yarn over;
[ ] = work directions in brackets the number
of times specified;
* or ** = repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated.
Blanket measures 42” x 54 [106 x 137 cm]
Beginning Cluster (Beginning Cl): Ch 3 [yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops] twice all in the same space, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
Cl (Cluster):[Yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops] 3 times all in same space, yo and draw through all 4 loops on hook.
With A, ch 4, join with slip st in 4th ch from hook to make a ring.
Round 1:Work Beginning Cl, ch 3, [Cl, ch 3] 3 times in ring, join with slip st in top beginning Cl – 4 Cl, 4 ch-3 corner spaces. Fasten off.
Round 2: Join B in any Cl, *sc in Cl, ch 2, ([Cl,ch 2] twice, Cl) in ch-3 corner space, ch 2; repeat from * 3 times, join with slip st in first sc – 12 Cl, 4 sc, 16 ch-2 spaces. Fasten off.
Round 3: Join C in first Cl in any sc, ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1 here and throughout), *skip ch-2 space, sc in next Cl, 3 sc in ch-2 space, (sc, ch 5, sc) in next Cl, 3 sc in ch-2 space, sc in Cl, ch 1, skip ch-2 space**, dc in sc, ch 1; repeat from * 3 times, end last repeat at **, join with slip st in 3rd ch of beginning dc – 4 dc, 8 ch-1 spaces, 4 ch-5 spaces, 36 sc.
Round 4: Ch 1, *(sc, ch 5, sc) in dc, ch 5, skip 5 sc, (sc, ch 5, sc) in ch-5 space, ch 5, skip 5 sc; repeat from * 3 times, join with slip st in first sc – 16 ch-5 spaces. Fasten off.
Round 5: Join A in any center side ch-5 space, ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), (2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in same space, *sc in next side ch-5 space, (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in corner ch-5 space, sc in next side ch-5 space**, (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in next center side ch-5 space; repeat from * 3 times, end last repeat at **, join with slip st in top of beginning dc. Fasten off.
(Make 62 more Motifs)
Rounds 1-4: Work as for First Motif.
Joining Round 5: Work as for Round 5 of First Motif, working slip st in corresponding ch-1 spaces of adjacent Motif along sides and corners being joined instead of ch 1. Fasten off. Repeat to join 63 Motifs into Blanket, 7 Motifs wide by 9 Motifs long.
Round 1: Join B in any corner ch-1 space of Blanket, (sc, ch 5, sc) in same space, *ch 7, (sc, ch 5, sc) in next ch-1 space, ch 7, (sc, ch 5, sc) in the slip st space between motifs; repeat from * across to next corner**, ch 7, (sc, ch 5, sc) in ch-1 space; repeat from * 3 times, end last repeat at **, join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Round 2: Join A in any corner ch-5 space, ch 3, 6 dc in same space, ch 2, sc in ch-7 space, ch 2, [7 dc in next ch-5 space, ch 2, sc in ch-7 space, ch 2] around; join with slip st in beginning dc. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
What would you name this pattern?
Let us know in the comments below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Need a little something to brighten a room? This wonderful Tropical Pineapple Squares Crochet Blanket will do just that and bring you… Continue reading: "Tropical Pineapple Squares Crochet Blanket"
- Beautiful Beginner Crochet Throw
- Starry Nights Throw Pattern
- Double the Fun Reversible Crochet Afghan
- Summer Breeze Beachy Throw Pattern
- Duchess of Cambridge Crochet Blanket
- Foolproof Afghan
- Butter Mints Tunisian Crochet Blanket
- Shady Grove Crochet Blanket
- Amish Multicolor Throw
- Crochet One to Two Skein Throw
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Crochet 12-point Star Blanket
- Soothing Stripes Stroller Blanket
- Diamond Wave Pattern | Crafting Happiness
- Timeless Lacy Shell Crochet Blanket
- Simple Inspiring Crochet Blanket
- Crochet Fireside Throw Blanket
- Cozy Man Cave Throw
- Moss Stitch Baby Blanket
- Winter Holiday Season Colors Granny Square Afghan
- Chic Colorful Granny Square Throw
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions