The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions
Simply Elegant Crochet Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
When it comes to beautiful and easy crochet afghan patterns, the Simply Elegant Crochet Afghan has quickly become one of our favorites. With a combination of the crochet shell stitch and crochet v stitch, you'll create a lacy crochet blanket pattern that's dripping in elegance.
This orchid beauty is like an ode to the beautiful old-fashioned afghans of the forties and fifties. Couldn't you see it gracing the halls of Downton Abbey? Leave everyone stunned with this easy crochet blanket! It's the kind of design that both grandma and granddaughter will fall in love with.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook, I/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeRows 2-5 – 2-1/4"; Shell, sc, ch 1, sc – 2-3/4"
Finished Size44" x 55"
- RED HEART Super Saver: 4 skeins 0530 Orchid
- Crochet Hooks: 5.0 mm (US H-8), 5.5 mm (US I-9) crochet hooks or size needed for gauge
Granny squares are one of the best things about crochet. Find the most beautiful and unique granny square tutorials in this downloadable collection of 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Projects free eBook
Instructions for AFGHAN:
Note: Afghan is crocheted in multiples of 10 plus 2.
Row 1 (RS): With H hook ch 152, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next ch, skip 3 chs, Shell in next ch, * skip 3 chs, sc in next ch, ch 1, skip next ch, sc in next ch, skip 3 chs, Shell in next ch, repeat from * across to last 5 chs, skip 3 chs, sc in last 2 chs, turn.
Row 2: Ch 2, hdc in first sc, ch 3, sc in next ch 1 space, *ch 3, V St in next ch 1 space, ch 3, sc in next ch 1 space, repeat from * across to last 5 stitches, ch 3, skip next 4 stitches, 2 hdc in last sc, turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, 3 dc in next hdc, sc in next ch 3 space, ch 1, sc in next ch 3 space, *Shell in next ch 1 space, sc in next ch 3 space, ch 1, sc in next ch 3 space, repeat from * across to last 2 hdc, 3 dc in next hdc, dc in last hdc, turn.
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first dc, ch 3, V St in next ch 1 space, *ch 3, sc in next ch 1 space, ch 3, V St in next ch 1 space, repeat from * across to last 5 stitches, ch 3, skip 4 stitches, sc in last dc, turn.
Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first sc and in next ch 3 space, Shell in next ch 1 space, * sc in next ch 3 space, ch 1, sc in next ch 3 space, Shell in next ch 1 space, repeat from * across to last ch 3 space, sc in ch 3 space and last sc, turn.
Continue pattern repeating Rows 2 – 5 for a total of 97 rows ending with Row 5.
Instructions for EDGING:
Round 1: With I hook and right side facing work along top edge [dc, (ch 1, dc) 5 times] in first right corner sc, *sc in ch 1 space of Shell, [dc, (ch 1, dc) 4 times] in next ch 1 space, repeat from * across ending [dc, (ch 1, dc) 5 times] in last sc.
Work along side edge *sc in dc space, [dc, (ch 1, dc) 4 times] in sc space, repeat from * across.
Work along bottom edge [dc, (ch 1, dc) 5 times] in first sc, *sc in ch below Shell, [dc, (ch 1, dc) 4 times] in ch 1 space between 2 sc, repeat from * across ending [dc, (ch 1, dc) 5 times] in last sc.
Work along side edge as for opposite side edge matching position of stitches, join to beginning dc (do not fasten off).
Round 2: Work along top edge sc in next ch 1 space, (ch 3, sc in next ch 1 space) 4 times, *(sc, ch 3, sc) in next sc, sc in next ch 1 space, (ch 3, sc in next ch 1) 3 times, repeat from * across ending (sc, ch 3, sc) in last sc, sc in next ch 1 (corner) space, (ch 3, sc in next ch 1 space) 4 times. Continue pattern around entire afghan ending join to beginning sc.
- (SPECIAL) Shell
- (3 dcs, ch 1, 3 dcs) in space or stitch as indicated
- (SPECIAL) V Stitch (V St)
- (hdc, ch 1, hdc) in space or stitch as indicated
Go back in time with crochet! You will love these old-fashioned (and a few modern) crochet designs:
Do you like lace crochet patterns?
Let us know in the comments below!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Royal Wedding Crochet Blanket
- Cranberry Mosaic Web Throw and Pillow
- Downton Abbey Inspired Crochet Afghan
- 45 V-Stitch Crochet Afghan Patterns
- Effortless Lacy Squares Afghan
- Pastel Wind Chime Crochet Lace Pattern
- Victorian Lace Afghan
- Victorian Lace Flower Throw
- Simply Elegant Crochet Afghan
- Luxurious Lace Crochet Afghan
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- The Wripple Crochet Blanket
- St. Nicholas Crochet Throw
- 6 Yarn Coloring Pages for Adults
- Ceramic Yarn Bowl
- Red Heart Evermore Yarn
- Crochet Little Princess Baby Blanket
- 39 Cozy Crochet Throw Patterns
- How Big is a Baby Blanket (Crochet)?
- Timeless Cabled Crochet Throw
- Crochet Austin Cables Throw
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions