How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
How Do I Crochet: 12 Crochet Stitches for Beginners
By: Jeanette Benoit, editor for AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns.com
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Have you always wondered "how do I crochet?" Well, today is your lucky day! Learn how to crochet today with this very informative article. How Do I Crochet: 12 Crochet Stitches for Beginners is chock full of helpful tutorials. It will teach you everything you need to know about the most common stitches in crochet.
Basic Crochet Stitches
These two simple crochet stitches will help you learn to crochet today.
Chain Stitch and Single Crochet: Most projects in crochet begin with the chain stitch. It's an integral part of learning to crochet, which is why this is such an important stitch for beginners to know how to do.
Double Crochet Stitch: The Double Crochet Stitch is one of the most important stitches in crochet. An item that is made entirely of the double crochet stitch will be solid, but not stiff. It is a great stitch to use for projects such as sweaters, shawls, afghans, placemats, and other home decor items. Once you've learned how to crochet the double crochet stitch, you can combine it with other stitches to produce a variety of interesting patterns and textures.
Most Common Crochet Stitches
Now that you've learned how to crochet basics, the next question on your mind is most likely, "how do I crochet with advanced stitches?" Well, you're in luck because we have collected 10 wonderful tutorials to illustrate the most common stitches in crochet.
Basketweave Stitch: Also known as the waffle stitch, the texture of this crochet stitch is what makes it so unique. Yes, you guessed it-- it looks like a basket! Follow this great tutorial to create your very own basketweave stitch.
Cable Stitch: Inspired by knitters, the cable stitch is such a classic looking crochet stitch that every crocheter should know how to do. Learn how to crochet a cable stitch in only eight steps.
Checkerboard Stitch: The checkerboard stitch is a really neat stitch. You can use just one for a dishcloth or crochet the squares together for a really neat-looking afghan. This tutorial is a great step by step guide.
Crazy Shell Stitch: Follow this step by step tutorial to learn how to make a crazy shell stitch. You first begin in a chain with multiples of three, but you'll read that in the tutorial. This is a beautiful stitch you will want to learn.
Half Double Crochet Stitch: If you're stumped on how to crochet a half doubled crochet stitch then this is the perfect tutorial for you. In only five easy steps you can learn this stitch to use everyday in your crochet adventures.
Picot Stitch: Traditionally used as an edging, the picot stitch usually gets added onto a finished garment. Follow this tutorial and learn how to crochet three different picot stitches.
Popcorn Stitch: To crochet the popcorn stitch, all you do is make a cluster of double crochet stitches in the same stitch.
Seed Stitch: The seed stitch is an alternating single and double crochet stitch. It gives a closed stitch, which resembles a knitted seed stitch.
Treble Stitch: This tutorial shows many images that will help you crochet a treble stitch.
Tunisian Stitch: Follow this step by step tutorial to learn the famous Tunisian crochet stitch. Unless you have a traditional Tunisian crochet hook, which is a very long handled crochet hook, then Tunisian crochet is really only practical for making smaller items, such as wallets, headbands, belts, and other small items which don’t require more than a dozen stitches across the row.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- "How Do I Crochet?" 22 Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns to Get You Started
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns free eBook
- 28 Tunisian Stitch Crochet Afghan Patterns
- Waffle Stitch Crochet Tutorial + Square Pattern
- 58 Crochet Afghan Patterns Using the Popcorn Stitch, Bobble Stitch, Puff Stitch, and Cluster Crochet Stitch
- How to Crochet Star Stitch Tutorial
- Bargello Crochet Stitch Pattern
- 10 Videos on How to Crochet: Afghan Tutorials and Techniques for Everyone
- How to Crochet: Catherine Wheel Stitch
- Crochet V-Stitch Tutorial
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Simple Rainbow Chevron Crochet Pattern
- Corner to Corner Crochet Throw
- Premier Serenity Active Yarn Review
- Cheerful Channing Granny Square
- Luxurious Lace Crochet Afghan
- 14 Crochet Afghans for Mother's Day Gifts
- Bavarian Rectangle Crochet Pattern
- Effortless Lacy Squares Afghan
- Basic Crochet Granny Square
- Touch of Red Mile-a-Minute Throw