How Do I Crochet: Checkerboard Stitch
How do I crochet the checkerboard stitch? We're glad you asked, because it's a really neat stitch. You can use just one for a dishcloth or crochet the squares together for a really neat-looking afghan. Learn how to crochet the checkerboard stitch with this step-by-step guide.
- Start with a chain. Double crochet in the 3rd stitch from the hook, and in the next stitch.
- Chain 3.
- Skip the next 3 stitches. Double crochet in each of the next 3 stitches.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 across the row. Always end with a double crochet in the last stitch.
- Chain 3 and turn.
- Make 2 double crochet in the chain 3 space of the previous row. (The chain 3 takes the place of the first double crochet.)
- Chain 3, make 3 double crochet in the chain 3 space of the previous row.
- Repeat step 6 across the row.
- Photo shows 3 rows of checkerboard stitch completed.
- One checkerboard square is shown on the right.
Check out Emi Harrington's designer profile and other great tutorials!
Find this pattern and more in our How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns eBook.