8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Joy to the World Throw
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
Spread the wonder of the holiday season with the Joy to the World Throw. You'll be super cozy when you cuddle up under this crochet blanket. Christmas crochet patterns are always so cheery and this one is no different because we know you'll be nice and warm with it wrapped around you. It'll be your go-to afghan when you're reading on the couch or watching your favorite holiday movie. You definitely won't be a Scrooge or a Grinch when you're snuggled up in this crochet blanket.
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge8 sts = 4” (10 cm); 12 rows = 4” (10 cm). CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeThrow measures 44 in wide x 56 in long (112 x 142 cm).
- RED HEART® Super Saver®: 4 skeins 979 Mistletoe C, 2 skeins each 319 Cherry Red A and 368 Paddy Green B
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 6mm [US J-10]
- Yarn needle
For more Christmas inspiration, check out: 75 Red and Green Christmas Crochet Afghans
1. Throw is made in rows with front post stitches evenly spaced to create cables on right side.
2. To change color, work last stitch of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete stitch. Proceed with new color. Cut old color.
3. When instructed to work into a stitch “4 rows below”, work into the row numbered 4 less than the current row. For example, if you are working Row 5, a stitch “4 rows below” is in Row 5 – 4 = Row 1.
Fpttr (Front post triple treble crochet) = [Yarn over] 4 times, insert hook from front side of work to back and to front again around post of indicated stitch; yarn over and pull up a loop (6 loops on hook), [yarn over and draw through 2 loops] 5 times. Skip stitch behind Fpttr.
With C, ch 120.
Row 1 (right side): Dc in 4th ch from hook (beginning ch count as first dc) and in each ch across; change to A, turn—118 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each dc across, turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, dc in each sc across, turn.
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each dc across; change to C, turn.
Row 5: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), dc in next sc, Fpttr around each of next 2 dc 4 rows below, *dc in next 6 sc, Fpttr around each of next 2 dc 4 rows below; repeat from * across to last 2 sc, dc in last 2 sc; change to B, turn—88 sc and 30 Fpttr.
Rows 6–8: Repeat Rows 2–4—118 sts.
Row 9: Repeat Row 5.
Rows 10–129: Repeat Rows 2–9 fifteen times.
Rows 130–133: Repeat Rows 2–5. Do not turn or change color at end of last row.
Round 1 (right side): Ch 1, *working in ends of rows, sc in each row* to first row; working in opposite side of foundation ch, 3 sc in first ch, sc in each ch across to last ch, 3 sc in last ch; repeat from * to * to last row; 3 sc in first st, sc in each st across to last st, 3 sc in last st; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Weave in ends.
A, B, C = Color A, Color B, Color C, etc.; ch = chain; dc = double crochet; sc = single crochet; st(s) = stitch(es); tr = treble (triple) crochet; * = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated.
Read NextSnow Bunny Crochet Blanket Pattern
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Daughter of Light
Mar 19, 2018
This is an interesting and stunning holiday afghan! At a distance it almost looks to be a woven plaid! I love the bright green and red it's presented in, but you could also do it in burgundy and forest green as well. I've never done a front post triple treble crochet stitch but it looks easy enough. I'll be glad to add it to my stitch repertoire. Thanks for the free pattern!
Jul 10, 2016
This seems to be the perfect afghan for the season for me because the mix of red and greens are balanced. When you look at the afghan from afar, you can see all colors in a balanced way. Thanks for having the pattern in front for easy access.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Bohemian Lace Afghan
Embrace the lace and try the Bohemian Lace Afghan. Written in 3 different sizes, this lacy crochet pattern is versatile and great for… Continue reading: "Bohemian Lace Afghan"
- Snow Bunny Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Vintage Christmas Poinsettia Throw
- 17 Snowflake Afghan Patterns
- Christmas Cheer Crochet Afghan
- Make a Joyful Noise Afghan
- Old Fashioned Evergreen Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Christmas Flower Motif Throw
- Suzy Snowflake Afghan
- Cozy Yuletide Squares Blanket
- Snowflake Afghan
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- How-to Turn Your Crochet (with Mini Tutorial)
- Textured Crochet Fleece Blanket
- Corner To Corner C2c Mini Bean Stitch Square & Rectangle
- Quick & Easy: Crochet Throw Pattern
- Beginner Throw (free Crochet Pattern)
- Free Pattern: One Skein Crochet Blanket
- Striped Suzette Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern
- Simple Forgiving Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Crochet Pattern: Modern Throw
- How To: Make A Soft Textured Crochet Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions