Joy to the World Throw
Spread the wonder of the holiday season with the Joy to the World Throw. You'll be super cozy when you cuddle up under this crochet blanket. Christmas crochet patterns are always so cheery and this one is no different because we know you'll be nice and warm with it wrapped around you. It'll be your go-to afghan when you're reading on the couch or watching your favorite holiday movie. You definitely won't be a Scrooge or a Grinch when you're snuggled up in this crochet blanket.
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge8 sts = 4” (10 cm); 12 rows = 4” (10 cm). CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeThrow measures 44 in wide x 56 in long (112 x 142 cm).
- RED HEART® Super Saver®: 4 skeins 979 Mistletoe C, 2 skeins each 319 Cherry Red A and 368 Paddy Green B
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 6mm [US J-10]
- Yarn needle
1. Throw is made in rows with front post stitches evenly spaced to create cables on right side.
2. To change color, work last stitch of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete stitch. Proceed with new color. Cut old color.
3. When instructed to work into a stitch “4 rows below”, work into the row numbered 4 less than the current row. For example, if you are working Row 5, a stitch “4 rows below” is in Row 5 – 4 = Row 1.
Fpttr (Front post triple treble crochet) = [Yarn over] 4 times, insert hook from front side of work to back and to front again around post of indicated stitch; yarn over and pull up a loop (6 loops on hook), [yarn over and draw through 2 loops] 5 times. Skip stitch behind Fpttr.
With C, ch 120.
Row 1 (right side): Dc in 4th ch from hook (beginning ch count as first dc) and in each ch across; change to A, turn—118 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each dc across, turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, dc in each sc across, turn.
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each dc across; change to C, turn.
Row 5: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), dc in next sc, Fpttr around each of next 2 dc 4 rows below, *dc in next 6 sc, Fpttr around each of next 2 dc 4 rows below; repeat from * across to last 2 sc, dc in last 2 sc; change to B, turn—88 sc and 30 Fpttr.
Rows 6–8: Repeat Rows 2–4—118 sts.
Row 9: Repeat Row 5.
Rows 10–129: Repeat Rows 2–9 fifteen times.
Rows 130–133: Repeat Rows 2–5. Do not turn or change color at end of last row.
Round 1 (right side): Ch 1, *working in ends of rows, sc in each row* to first row; working in opposite side of foundation ch, 3 sc in first ch, sc in each ch across to last ch, 3 sc in last ch; repeat from * to * to last row; 3 sc in first st, sc in each st across to last st, 3 sc in last st; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Weave in ends.
A, B, C = Color A, Color B, Color C, etc.; ch = chain; dc = double crochet; sc = single crochet; st(s) = stitch(es); tr = treble (triple) crochet; * = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated.
Read NextSnow Bunny Crochet Blanket Pattern