How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
Secrets to Being a Better Crocheter: 20 Crochet Tips and Tricks
Learn how to store yarn and to keep your craft room organized along with some beginner crochet tutorials.
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Want to improve your crochet skills? You'll love these neat crochet tips and tricks designed to help you be the best crocheter you can be! Secrets to Being a Better Crocheter: 20 Crochet Tips and Tricks is the ultimate guide for lovers of crochet.
All of these techniques are fast, easy, and most importantly, fun! Sometimes the little things can make such a big difference in crochet, especially for beginners. This list has some of the most helpful crochet tips and tricks out there, so take a look.
From yarn organization and storage to crochet joint pain, this list has it all. Even though it's great for beginner crochet, these crochet tips and tricks are helpful to experienced crocheters, too. Cool DIY yarn un-tanglers and storage racks are among some of the free tips this list has to offer.
As an added bonus, many of these solutions are cheap and eco-friendly! If you're ready to be a better crocheter, read up on these 20 crochet tips and tricks!
"My #1 tip for new crocheters is ‘don’t give up!’ Your first lesson (chain, and single crochet in to the chain) is ALWAYS the hardest because you are learning not only a new craft but training your brain and hands a new way to work and move. And, by the end of your lesson, you will know 100% more than you did before you started. It just gets easier after the first lesson. So, don’t give up!" – Beth M, crocheter
PLUS! Check out the video tutorial below to learn some tips and techniques for weaving in your ends.
Table of Contents
Crochet Tips and Tricks: Organization
Improving your yarn organization and storage are really simple things you can do to make crocheting a bit easier. Make your own plastic yarn organizer for tangle free yarn out of a bin in your house! It’s cheap and Eco-friendly!
"I organize by color - in clear containers so I can let the colors inspire me to create." – Amber, crocheter
These organization crochet tips and tricks can be a lifesaver when you don’t have the time to deal with messy, tangled yarn. Crocheter for beginners can be overwhelming and complicated, so be sure to keep everything in place!
Are you a visual learner or need more guidance? If so, then you have to take a look at our video collection, 10 Videos on How to Crochet: Afghan Tutorials and Techniques for Everyone
Crochet Tips and Tricks: Yarn
These yarn crochet tips and tricks are the best secrets to becoming a better crocheter. Don’t you love when an afghan is nice and worn in? Find out how to get rid of that original stiffness!
If you’re unsure about the colors a crochet pattern is using, choose your own with the help of the Yarn Color Theory Tutorial and color wheel. You'll love how these yarn tricks help you make your dream afghan!
Crochet Tips and Tricks: Health
Although crocheting can be extremely beneficial for both mind and body, sometimes our joints just can’t take it. Read up on 5 common crochet health concerns and how you can defeat them.
These crochet tips and tricks will help you combat eye, neck, and back strain. You’ll never have to take a break from crocheting again!
Get tons more crochet tips and tricks from real crocheters with 80 Reader Tips for Beginner Crocheters
Crochet Tips and Tricks: Beginner Tutorials
These amazing beginner crochet tutorials are perfect for people who are just learning how to crochet certain basic crochet stitches. With great step-by-step photo instructions, anyone could learn these techniques!
"Don’t be afraid to pull out your work and try again! … start with something easy, where gauge doesn’t matter … like a baby blanket, a hot pad, scarf, etc, and NEVER give up because of how your first project turns out." – Deb G.
Crochet for beginners has never been as fun and easy than with these awesome crochet tips and tricks.
Get your stitches down with the help of our downloadable collection called How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns free eBook
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- How to Crochet in the Round
- How to Crochet the Bavarian Square
- How to Make a Center Pull Ball of Yarn
- All About Tunisian Crochet: How To + 7 Tunisian Crochet Patterns
- Puff Spike Crochet Stitch Tutorial
- Yarn Color Theory Tutorial
- Complete Crochet Hook Size and Yarn Weight Guide [Infographic]
- How to Soften Acrylic Yarn
- How to Half Double Crochet
- 67 Reader Submitted Yarn Organization Tips
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- 12 Crochet Stitches for Beginners
- Nomad Sock Yarn
- Wet Block Crochet Afghan Squares Tutorial
- Crochet Cuddle Up Unicorn Blanket
- Trinity Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- Solid Shell Crochet Stitch Tutorial
- Twin V-Stitch Crochet Tutorial
- Fates Crochet Granny Square
- Under the Sea Mermaid Tail Crochet Lapghan
- Christmas Lights Crochet Granny Square
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions