How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Ancient Mariner Wheel Stitch Lapghan
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
Nothing is more beautiful than the sublime power of the sea. That's why this Ancient Mariner Wheel Stitch Lapghan is an amazing free crochet pattern for lovers of the water. The rippling white stripes mimic the ebbing current of the sea. If you're looking for crochet patterns for beginners, this one is just right for you. It uses a simple wheel stitch technique that won't require much of your attention. The durable simplicity of this blanket would make it a perfect lapghan!
Crochet HookM/13 or 9 mm hook
Yarn Weight(6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)
- Bernat ® s oftee Chunky ™ (100 g/3.5 oz; 99 m/108 yds) - Main Color (MC): 7 balls Contrast a : 3 balls
- Crochet hook: s ize 9 mm (U. s . M or 13) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge.
Size: Approx 30" x 45" [76 x 114.5 cm]
Gauge: 6 sc and 7 rows = 4" [10 cm]
Stripe pattern: With MC, work 5 rows. With a, work 2 rows. With MC, work 1 row. These 8 rows form stripe pattern.
- With MC, ch 84.
- 1st row: (WS). 3 dc in 4th ch from hook (counts as 4 dc). Miss next 3 ch. 1 sc in each of next 3 ch. Miss next 3 ch. *7 dc in next ch. Miss next 3 ch. 1 sc in each of next 3 ch. Miss next 3 ch. Rep from * 6 times more. 4 dc in last ch. Turn
- 2nd row: Ch 1. 1 sc in each of next 2 dc. Ch 3. (Yoh and draw up a loop in next st. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 7 times. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook – dc7tog made. Ch 3. *1 sc in each of next 3 dc. Ch 3. Dc7tog. Ch 3. Rep from * 6 times more. 1 sc in each of last 2 dc. Turn.
- 3rd row: Ch 1. 1 sc in each of next 2 sc. Miss next 3 ch. 7 dc in next st. Miss next 3 ch. *1 sc in each of next 3 sc. Miss next 3 ch. 7 dc in next st. Miss next 3 ch. Rep from * 6 times more. 1 sc in each of last 2 sc. Turn.
- 4th row: Ch 3. (Yoh and draw up a loop in next st. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook – beg dc4tog made. Ch 3. 1 sc in each of next 3 dc. Ch 3. *Dc7tog. Ch 3. 1 sc in each of next 3 dc. Ch 3. Rep from * 6 times more. (Yoh and draw up a loop in next st. Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 4 times. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook – dc4tog made. Turn.
- 5th row: Ch 3. 3 dc in first st (counts as 4 dc). Miss next 3 ch. 1 sc in each of next 3 sc. Miss next 3 ch. *7 dc in next st. Miss next 3 ch. 1 sc in each of next 3 sc. Miss next 3 ch. Rep from * 6 times more. 4 dc in last st. Join A. Turn.
- First 5 rows of Stripe Pat are now complete.
- Following Stripe Pat, rep 2nd to 5th rows 10 times more, then rep 2nd to 4th rows once more. Fasten off.
Read NextWoodsy Chic Triangle Lapghan
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Sep 09, 2018
I wonder which came first, the mariner wheel stitch or the Catherine wheel stitch? The picture for this design is not really clear and they could be the one in the same. Can any one offer any information about it? I am just curious.
Aug 14, 2018
So, I thought that this would really be a difficult pattern. However there are only a few rows to the pattern and if you can master them you only need to repeat to get this beautiful ancient mariner wheel stitch.
Jul 09, 2018
Thank you for putting the pattern here on this page, I tried this pattern years ago and it didn't work but now I see this one is some what different. I will be trying this one and hope it works out. I like the look of this Ancient Mariner Wheel Stitch Lapghan. This will make a great Christmas gift for my oldest grandson.. Thank you so much for sharing this free crochet lapghan pattern.
Nov 11, 2016
I am an accomplished crocheter there is something wrong with the instructions for the second row. Since that row does not turn out as it should, neither does the following row. Any ideas, anyone??
AFC Editor Julia
Nov 14, 2016
Hi Denver, I double checked this pattern with the company pattern and noticed some slight discrepencies, so I've copied their pattern over here. This should hopefully solve your issues! Please let me know if you're still having any trouble with this pattern.. or let Yarnspirations/Bernat customer service know. :) Hope that helps! Julia, editor for AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns
Apr 23, 2016
I've pinned this lapghan, reminds me of "The Old Man and the Sea". The color is like the sea, evokes serenity. Thanks for the pattern which is easily accessed on the same page.
Apr 22, 2016
This pattern is so cute, I love the color! I will have to try it!
amyjprobertson 278 8305
Dec 27, 2014
I don't think this pattern is correct. I've tried it and ripped out a few times.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Princess Charlotte's Christening Crochet Blanket
We all see baby girls as princesses, so give yours the royal treatment with Princess Charlotte's Christening Crochet Blanket. It's a… Continue reading: "Princess Charlotte's Christening Crochet Blanket"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Color Burst Blanket Square
- How To Crochet The Granny Spike Stitch
- C2C Moss Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern
- A Fast Throw Pattern, Free Crochet Pattern
- A Cozy Throw (free Crochet Pattern)
- How To Crochet Easter Bunny Applique
- Adjust The Size Of A Crochet Blanket
- What Is Gauge In Crochet?
- How To Finish Off A Crochet Blanket
- Why Is The Starting Edge Of Crochet Bunched Together?
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions