How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- see all comments
"Is there any way to get a written pattern?"
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Cute and Colorful Granny Square Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
This Cute and Colorful Granny Square Afghan is a great way to snuggle up in style. The rainbow of colors makes this granny square afghan pattern incredibly pleasing to the eye. Work up this easy pattern and see for yourself. The stitches make a great arrow pattern which adds a great deal of visual interest. Since this afghan includes almost every color you can dream of, it will work perfectly in any room. Wrap yourself in this crochet afghan and before you know it, your friends and family members will be itching for you to make one for them too.
Crochet HookN/15 or 10 mm hook
Yarn Weight(6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeThree 3-dc groups = about 5 1/2 in. (14 cm).
Finished SizeAbout 48 x 48 in. (122 x 122 cm)
- 135-099 Lion Brand Hometown USA Yarn: Los Angeles Tan
- 1 Ball (A)
- 135-136 Lion Brand Hometown USA Yarn: Portsmouth Pumpkin
- 1 Ball (B)
- 135-159 Lion Brand Hometown USA Yarn: Madison Mustard
- 2 Balls (C)
- 135-176 Lion Brand Hometown USA Yarn: Galveston Green
- 3 Balls (D)
- 135-175 Lion Brand Hometown USA Yarn: Montpelier Peacock
- 4 Balls (E)
- 135-148 Lion Brand Hometown USA Yarn: Portland Wine
- 5 Balls (F)
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size N-13 (9 mm)
- Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
- A Granny Square is made first for corner of Afghan. Work then proceeds back and forth in rows across only 2 sides of the Square.
- To change color, work last st of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete st. Proceed with new color. Cut old color.
With A, ch 5; join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1 (RS): Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), 2 dc in ring, (ch 2, 3 dc in ring) 3 times, ch 2; join with sl st in top of beg ch – you will have four 3-dc groups and 4 ch-2 sps at the end of Rnd 1.
Rnd 2: Sl st in next 2 dc, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp (corner made), *ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp (corner made); rep from * 2 more times, ch 1; join with sl st in top of beg ch – Eight 3-dc groups, 4 corner ch-2 sps, and 4 ch-1 sps.
Rnd 3: Sl st in next 2 dc, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp, *ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp; rep from * 2 more times, ch 1; join with sl st in top of beg ch – Twelve 3-dc groups, 4 corner ch-2 sps, and 8 ch-1 sps.
Rnd 4: Sl st in next 2 dc, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, (ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp) twice, *ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, (ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp) twice; rep from * 2 more times, ch 1; join with sl st in top of beg ch – Sixteen 3-dc groups, 4 corner ch-2 sps, and 12 ch-1 sps.
Fasten off A.
Row 1 (RS): From RS, join B with sl st in any corner ch-2 sp, ch 3, dc in same corner ch-2 sp, (ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp) to next corner ch-2 sp, ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in corner ch-2 sp, (ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp) to next corner ch-2 sp, ch 1, 2 dc in corner ch-2 sp; leave other 2 sides of Center Square unworked – Eight 3-dc groups, two 2-dc groups, 1 corner ch-2 sp, and 8 ch-1 sps.
Row 2: Ch 3, turn, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp, (ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp) to corner ch-2 sp, ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in corner ch-2 sp, (ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp) to end of side, dc in top of beg ch – Ten 3-dc groups, 2 dc, 1 corner ch-2 sp, and 8 ch-1 sps.
Row 3: Ch 3, turn, dc in first dc, (ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp) to corner ch-2 sp, ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in ch-2 sp, (ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp) to end of side, ch 1, 2 dc in top of beg ch – Ten 3-dc groups, two 2-dc groups, 1 corner ch-2 sp, and 10 ch-1 sps.
Rows 4 and 5: Rep Rows 2 and 3 – at the end of Row 5 you will have twelve 3-dc groups.
Row 6: Rep Row 2 and change to C in last st – Fourteen 3-dc groups.
For even more fabulous granny square patterns, check out 24 Easy Crochet Granny Square Patterns.
Row 7: With C, rep Row 3 – Fourteen 3-dc groups.
Rows 8-13: With C, rep Rows 2 and 3 three times – Twenty 3-dc groups in Row 12.
Row 14: With C, rep Row 2 and change to D in last st – Twenty-two 3-dc groups.
Row 15: With D, rep Row 3 – Twenty-two 3-dc groups.
Rows 16-23: With D, rep Rows 2 and 3 four times and change to E in last st of Row 23 – Thirty 3-dc groups in Row 22.
Rows 24-33: With E, rep Rows 2 and 3 five times and change to F in last st of row 33 – Forty 3-dc groups in Row 32.
Rows 34-43: With F, rep Rows 2 and 3 five times – Fifty 3-dc groups in Row 42.
Row 44: With F, rep Row 2 – Fifty-two 3-dc groups.
Weave in ends.
beg = begin(s)(ning)
ch(s) = chain(s)
ch-space = space previously made
dc = double crochet
rep = repeat(s)(ing)
rnd(s) = round(s)
RS = right side
sl st = slip stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
Read NextCobblestone Granny Square Afghan
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Oct 06, 2018
This granny square afghan is cute and colorful. This would be a perfect project for the true beginner. Being able to create a project like this will keep one feeling successful and provide encouragement to keep growing crochet skills.
Sep 25, 2018
I love granny square projects. This one is no exception. This cute and colorful granny square afghan is created in a different way than usual and I like the finished project. Even still, I love the colors that the designer selected. This looks like it is just right for the fall.
Daughter of Light
Mar 19, 2018
Soooo cool! I love the modern twist on the older version of a granny square. The jewel tones offered are great, but you could take this many other directions such as colors to match your decor or the colors of your favorite sports team colors. I'm glad that it is designated "easy" so that it will make up pretty quickly. This done in neutral colors would also make a perfect house warming gift!
Oct 10, 2016
Tried this craft? What did you think?
Apr 01, 2016
I've finished my own version of this afghan. I had to change the colors because the Lion brand yarn is not available in my area. The photo has been attached.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
The Royal Parlor Grannyvideocam
Make a granny square pattern that is truly fit for royalty. With a big crochet flower, The Royal Parlor Granny is elegant and pretty.… Continue reading: "The Royal Parlor Grannyvideocam"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Four Colour Baby Blanket
- Jennifer E Ryan
- Ombre Bubble Baby Blanket
- Colorida Hammock Blanket
- Sunrise Stripes Baby Blanket
- Staggered Shells Baby Blanket Shawl
- Melissa Throw
- Super Easy Crochet Bow Tie
- Crochet Summer Baby Blanket
- Crochet A Blanket With Spiked Sedge Stitch
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions