Poinsettia Christmas Crochet Pattern
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, especially on this free crochet pattern! You won't be able to contain your excitement for the winter season once you see the Poinsettia Christmas Crochet Pattern. Lavishly big crochet flowers in a wonderful burgundy color will warm you to the core. What better way to show someone you care than giving them a Christmas crochet afghan for a present? This holiday crochet flower pattern is one of our favorite free Christmas crochet patterns yet.
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook, K/10.5 or 6.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- RED HEART ® "Super Saver®": 1 Skein 316 Soft White CA, 2 skeins each 376 Burgundy CB and 389 Hunter Green CC, 3 skeins 967 Holly & Ivy CD.
- Hooks: 6mm [US J-10] and 6.5mm [US K-10.5]
- Yarn needle
Size: Afghan measures 51" x 62.5"
Gauge: Motif = 11.5" x 11.5" with smaller hook. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
MOTIF (Make 20):
With smaller hook and CA, ch 6; join with a slip st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 4, [dc, ch 1] 7 times in ring; join with a slip st in 3rd ch of ch-4 – 8 spaces. Fasten off.
Rnd 2: Join CB in any ch-1 space; ch 3, 2 dc in same space, [ch 2, 3 dc in next space] 7 times, ch 2; join with a slip st in top of ch-3.
Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, * (dc, ch 2, dc) all in ch-2 space **, dc in next 3 dc; repeat from * around, end at **;join.
Rnd 4: Ch 2,[yo and draw up a loop in next dc, yo and draw through 2 loops] twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook, ch 1 tightly to close–beginning cluster made; * ch 4, sc in ch-2 space, ch 4, skip next dc **;[yo and draw up a loop in next dc, yo and draw through 2 loops ] 3 times, yo and draw through all 4 loops on hook,ch 1 tightly to close–cluster made; repeat from * around, end at **; join in top of beginning cluster. Fasten off.
Rnd 5: Join CD in any ch-4 space; ch 2, 3 hdc in same space, * 4 hdc in next space, 5 hdc in next space, ch 3 (corner), 5 hdc in next space **, 4 hdc in next space; repeat from * around, end at **; join in top of ch-2. Fasten off.
Rnd 6: Join CC in ch-3 corner space; (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in corner space, * skip next hdc, dc in next 17 sts**, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in corner space; rep from * around, end at **; join.
Rnd 7: Slip st in next dc, ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1), skip next dc, ** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) all in corner ch-2 space, ch 1,skip next dc, * dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc; repeat from* to next corner; repeat from ** around; join in 3rd ch of ch-4. Fasten off.
Rnd 8: Join CD in any corner space; (ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) all in same space, * ch 1, skip next dc, [dc in next dc, ch1, skip next dc] 13 times **; (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) all in corner space; repeat from * around, end at **; join. Fasten off.
With larger hook and CD, join motifs: holding wrong sides together and begin at corner, work sc, ch 1 through each space and in between 2 corner dc across. Join motifs in rows of 5, and then join 5-motif rows together to form afghan 4 rows wide.
Border-Rnd 1: With right side facing and smaller hook ,join CB in any corner space; (ch 2, hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) all in same space, * hdc in each st and ch-1 space across to next corner **, (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) all in corner space; repeat from * around, end at **; join in top of ch-2. Fasten off.
Rnd 2: Join CA in any corner; repeat Rnd 1, EXCEPT work hdc between sts of previous rnd.
Rnd 3: Join CB in any corner; repeat Rnd 2.
Rnd 4: Join CD in any corner; (ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) all in same space, * ch 1, skip next hdc, hdc in next hdc; repeat from * to next corner; ch 1 **, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) all in corner space; repeat from * around, end at **; join.
Rnd 5: Ch 1, sc in each st and ch-1 space around, working 3 sc in each corner; join in first sc. Fasten off.
Rnd 6: Attach CC in same sc as joining; ch 1, sc in same sc, * sc in next 6 sc, keeping hook and yarn at front of work dc in next free hdc of Rnd 3, skip sc directly behind this dc **, sc in next sc; repeat from * to 7 center sc of next corner, end at **; sc in next sc; repeat from * around, end at **; join. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Victorian Ornaments Afghan
- Christmas Sweetheart Afghan
- Old Fashioned Evergreen Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Austrian Sleigh Crochet Afghan
- Snow Bunny Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Angel Squares Crochet Afghan
- Candy Cane Afghan
- Plaid Christmas Crochet Afghan Pattern
- Holiday Applique Granny Squares
- Retro Ornament Pattern Throw
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Soothing Stripes Stroller Blanket
- Diamond Wave Pattern | Crafting Happiness
- Timeless Lacy Shell Crochet Blanket
- Simple Inspiring Crochet Blanket
- Crochet Fireside Throw Blanket
- Cozy Man Cave Throw
- Moss Stitch Baby Blanket
- Winter Holiday Season Colors Granny Square Afghan
- Chic Colorful Granny Square Throw
- Granny Square Afghan
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions