We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Stick 'em up! We mean your crochet hooks because you'll want to get them ready to work up the Wild West Sunset Lapghan. Worked in gorgeous Lion Brand Landscapes yarn, we can't get over the geometric design and sunset colors of this crochet blanket. The main bright pink color can be either from the sunset or it's the pink of the desert of the Wild West. We love that it's both very modern looking and yet transports us to a different time when the land in the western United States had yet to be tamed.
Crochet HookK/10.5 or 6.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge11 sc + 14 rows = about 4 in. (10 cm)
1 Large Square = about 19 x 19 in. (48.5 x 48.5 cm).
When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
Finished SizeAbout 44 x 44 in.
- Lion Brand® Landscapes® Yarn:
- 545-200: Tropics
- 545-204: Desert Spring
- 545-146: Fuchsia
- 545-173: Sage
- 545-124: Ochre
- 545-122: Taupe
- 545-143: Bordeaux
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size K-10.5 (6.5 mm)
- Lion Brand Split Ring Stitch Markers
- Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles
sc3tog (sc 3 sts together) (Insert hook in next st and draw up a loop) 3 times, yarn and draw through all 4 loops on hook – 2 sts decreased.
- 4 Large Squares, 4 Side Bands and 4 Corner Squares are worked separately, then sewn together following a diagram.
- Each Large Square is worked diagonally. Sts are increased on both edges to the center, then decreased on both edges to opposite corner.
- Side Bands are worked back and forth in rows.
- Corner Squares are mitered squares with a decrease at the center of every row.
- The yarn color is changed on Large Squares and Side Bands to make stripes of solid colors (colors C-K) and sections of self-striping colors (A and B).
- To change yarn color, work last st of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops to complete the st. Proceed with new color. Fasten off old color.
Step up your geometric pattern game with our free eBook: Learn to Crochet Geometric Patterns: Hexagon Crochet Motifs. Download today!
LARGE SQUARES I (make 2)
With C, ch 2.
Foundation Row (WS): Work 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook – you will have 3 sts.
Row 1 (RS): Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in next st, 2 sc in last st – 5 sts.
Rows 2-4 (Increase Rows): Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in each st to last st, 2 sc in last st – 11 sts at the end of Row 4.
Row 5: Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across.
Rows 6-45: Rep Rows 2-5 ten times and change yarn color in the following color sequence: Work 3 more rows with C, 34 rows with B, and 4 rows with C – 71 sts at the end of Row 45.
Row 46 (Center Row): With C, ch 1, turn, sc in each st across.
Change to F.
Rows 47-49 (Decrease Rows): Ch 1, turn, sk first sc, sc in each st to last 2 sts, sk next st, sc in last st – 65 sts at the end of Row 49.
Row 50: Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across.
Rows 51-86: Rep Rows 47-50 nine times and change yarn color in the following color sequence: Work 4 rows with G, 6 rows with D, 6 rows with E, 6 rows with F, 4 rows with G, 6 rows with B, 4 rows with C – 11 sts at the end of Row 86.
Rows 87-90: With C, ch 1, turn, sk first sc, sc in each st to last 2 sts, sk next st, sc in last st – 3 sts at the end of Row 90.
Row 91: With C, sc3tog – 1 st.
LARGE SQUARES II (make 2)
Make same as Square I, changing yarn color in the following color sequence: Work 8 rows with C, 34 rows with A, 6 rows with E, 6 rows with D, 6 rows with G, 4 rows with F, 4 rows with E, 4 rows with D, 2 rows with G, 4 rows with E, 4 rows with A, then last 9 rows with C.
Following diagram, sew Large Squares tog.
SIDE BANDS (make 4)
With a self-striping color of your choice (A or B), ch 8.
Row 1 (RS): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across – 7 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across.
Rep Row 2 and change yarn color in the following color sequence: Work 4 more rows with self-striping color, then 2 rows with a solid color of your choice (C, D, E, F, or G), *work 6 rows with a self-striping color, then 2 rows with a solid color; rep from * until piece measures same as one side edge of Afghan.
CORNER SQUARES (make 4)
With D, ch 18.
Row 1 (RS): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 6 ch, sc3tog, place marker in sc3tog just made, sc in last 7 ch – 15 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in each st to 1 st before marked st, sc3tog and move marker to sc3tog just made, sc in each st to end of row – 13 sts.
Rows 3-7: Rep Row 2 five times – 3 sts.
Row 8: Ch 1, turn, sc3tog – 1 st.
Following diagram, sew Side Bands and Corner Squares to Afghan.
Weave in ends.
- ch(s) = chain(s)
- rep = repeat(s)(ing)
- RS = right side
- sc = single crochet
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- tog = together
- WS = wrong side
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Woodland Animals Baby Blanket
- Diagonal Chevrons 12" Afghan Square
- Diagonal Chevron Lapghan
- Traveling Afghan Crochet Square #15
- Triple Textures Afghan
- Bee Honeycomb
- C2c Opossum
- Cute Teddy Bear
- Braided Cables Square
- Cutest Captain Around
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions