Aran Isle Throw
Melt into this soft green cable crochet pattern during a long weekend. The Aran Isle Throw features lovely aisles of cables and the crochet bobble stitch, which give this blanket texture and warmth. Make this free crochet pattern in the color that you find most relaxing.
This crochet blanket pattern just screams "weekend away". Let yourself sit back, relax, and crochet one of the comfiest Red Heart Yarn patterns out there. This crochet cable pattern is made in one piece, so there aren't a lot of ends to weave in.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge12 sts = 4"; 10 rows = 4-3/8" in pattern with larger hook. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeThrow measures 48" x 63" (121.9 cm x 160 cm)
- RED HEART® Super Saver®: 7 skeins 661 Frosty Green
- Hooks: 6mm [US J-10] and 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Yarn needle
Beginning at side edge (afghan is worked side to side) with larger hook, ch 181.
Row 1 (Wrong Side): Dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across; turn – 179 sts.
Row 2 (Right Side): Ch 2 (counts as first st), skip first dc, * BPDC around next st; repeat from * across; turn.
Row 3: Ch 2, skip first st, * FPDC around next st; repeat from * across; turn.
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each st across; turn.
Row 5-Bobble Row: Ch 1, sc in first sc, * MB in next sc, sc in next sc; repeat from * across; turn.
Row 6: Repeat Row 4.
Row 7: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), skip first sc,* skip next sc, dc in next 2 sc, dc into skipped sc working around the last 2 dc (this dc encloses the last 2 dc); repeat from * to last sc; dc in last sc; turn.
Rows 8-10: Repeat Rows 4-6.
Row 11: Ch 3, skip first sc, dc in next sc and in each sc across; turn.
Work Rows 2-11 a total of 10 times.
Work Rows 2-3 once more.
Do not fasten off.
Change to smaller hook.
Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 1, work sc evenly around all 4 sides of afghan and work 3 sc in each corner; join with a slip st in first sc; turn.
Round 2 (Wrong Side): Ch 1, work as for Row 5-Bobble Row, working 3 sts in each corner and adjusting at end of round as necessary; join; turn.
Round 3 (Right Side): Ch 1, sc in each st around and work 3 sc in each corner as before; join; do NOT turn.
Round 4 (Right Side): * Ch 3, skip 1 sc, slip st in next sc; repeat from * around; turn.
Round 5-Picot Round (Wrong Side): Ch 1,* (sc, ch 2, slip st into 2nd ch from hook, sc) all in ch-3 space; repeat from * around; join.
Weave in ends.
- (SPECIAL) BPDC (back post double crochet)
- Yarn over, insert hook from back to front to back around the post of stitch indicated and draw up a loop, [yarn over and draw through 2 loops] twice.
- (SPECIAL) FPDC (front post double crochet)
- Yarn over, insert hook from front to back to front around the post of stitch indicated and draw up a loop, [yarn over and draw through 2 loops] twice.
- (SPECIAL) MB (make bobble)
- [yarn over and draw up a loop] 3 times all in stitch indicated, yarn over and draw through all 7 loops on hook.
Read NextHeavenly Holiday Cables Throw