- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
Thick Twist Basketweave Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
The thick twists of this aptly named Thick Twist Basketweave Afghan give it a wonderful texture you won't be able to keep your hands off. Fold this easy crochet afghan and lay it across the foot of your bed or over the back of your couch.
This basketweave afghan pattern is going to keep you warm all through winter, too. The basketweave crochet stitch is so distinctive and impressive that you'll want to use it for more than just this crochet afghan. The rustic shade of brown makes this a perfect gift for the men in your life as well.
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge12 dc and 7 rows = 4 ins [10 cm]
Finished SizeApprox 46" x 47" [117 cm x 119.5 cm]
- 5 balls Bernat Softee Chunky Twists (340 g/12 oz) yarn in Thyme Twists
- 6 mm (U.S. J or 10) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
Find the coolest striped afghans to make in this collection of 6 Striped Crochet Afghan Patterns for Men and Boys
Instructions for AFGHAN:
1st row: (RS). 1 hdc in 3rd ch from hook. 1 hdc in each ch to end of row. 152 hdc.
**2nd row: Ch 2 (does not count as hdc). 1 hdc in first hdc. *1 dcfp in each of next 10 sts. 1 dcbp in each of next 10 sts. Rep from * 6 times more. 1 dcfp in each of next 10 sts. 1 hdc in last hdc. Turn.
3rd row: Ch 2 (does not count as hdc). 1 hdc in first hdc. *1 dcbp in each of next 10 sts. 1 dcfp in each of next 10 sts. Rep from * 6 times more. 1 dcbp in each of next 10 sts. 1 hdc in last hdc. Turn.
Rep last 2 rows for approx 3 ins [7.5 cm], ending with 2nd row.***
Beg with 2nd row, rep last 2 rows for approx 3 ins [7.5 cm], ending with 2nd row.**
Rep from ** to ** 6 times more, then from ** to *** once.
Pin Blanket to measurements. Cover with a damp cloth, leaving cloth to dry.
Instructions for EDGING:
1st rnd: With RS of Blanket facing, join yarn with sl st to top right corner. Ch 2 (does not count as st). Work 150 hdc evenly along top of Blanket, 3 hdc in corner, 105 hdc down side, 3 hdc in corner, 150 hdc along bottom, 3 hdc in corner, 105 hdc up side and 3 hdc in corner. Join with sl st to first hdc. Turn.
2nd rnd: Working from left to right instead of right to left as usual, work 1 reverse sc in each hdc around. Join with sl st to first sc.
- Yoh and draw up a loop around post of next st at front of work 1 row below, inserting hook from right to left. (Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice – 1 dcfp made.
- Yoh and draw up a loop around post of next st at back of work 1 row below inserting hook from right to left. (Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice – 1 dcbp made.
You'll never be without a gift for the big and little men in your life once you download your copy of Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghan Patterns for Men and Boys free eBook
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Jun 06, 2019
I am currently making a bath mat in cotton in the basket weave stitch. It's going to take me at least five weeks to finish. WHAT HAVE I DONE? )
Aug 16, 2018
This blanket looks really intricate, but after reading the pattern I think it is actually really easy! I love the basketweave texture and the neutral color is perfect for gifting to a man, or fitting into a room with a neutral color scheme.
Sep 11, 2017
Wow l Iove this Thick Twist Basketweave Afghan pattern. It is well written and easy to follow. I made mine using the Sweet Roll yarn in blues and it came out so sweet! Nice and thick and so warm. I wish I could load a picture of mine, because it came out so nice, I had to make one for my Mother-in-Law too. This is a great pattern to keep and do in the fall or winter because I made them in the summer and have to say I was hot! Thank you so much for sharing this free crochet pattern.
May 08, 2016
Here's the link to the pattern http//www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-Afghans/Basketwea == ve-Twists-Afghan-from-Bernat. This afghan looks so cozy. Perfect for snuggling on a cold winter's day. Done in soft Bernat so I can imagine the softness it can provide when this is finally completed. I've pinned this afghan.
Apr 14, 2016
I've done smaller projects with basketweave, I can't wait to try this pattern! This will be a perfect blanket for my living room
Aug 31, 2015
I'm looking forward to trying Basketweave, thank you.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Bohemian Lace Afghan
Embrace the lace and try the Bohemian Lace Afghan. Written in 3 different sizes, this lacy crochet pattern is versatile and great for… Continue reading: "Bohemian Lace Afghan"
- Blueberry Mornings Crochet Set
- Thick Twist Basketweave Afghan
- 21 Crochet Basketweave Afghan Patterns
- Basketweave Afghan
- Basketweave Throw
- Ivory Basket Weave Baby Blanket
- Cranberry Basketweave Throw
- Rainfall Crochet Stitch
- Chunky Basketweave Crochet Blanket
- Basketweave Crochet Washcloth and Blanket Pattern
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- How-to Turn Your Crochet (with Mini Tutorial)
- Textured Crochet Fleece Blanket
- Corner To Corner C2c Mini Bean Stitch Square & Rectangle
- Quick & Easy: Crochet Throw Pattern
- Beginner Throw (free Crochet Pattern)
- Free Pattern: One Skein Crochet Blanket
- Striped Suzette Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern
- Simple Forgiving Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Crochet Pattern: Modern Throw
- How To: Make A Soft Textured Crochet Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions