How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Brighten up your life by making this awesome Citrus Zig Zag Crochet Blanket. This ripple crochet afghan pattern features neon pink, orange, and yellow stripes that are joined together with stark white that only makes them stand out further.
This crochet pattern is finished off with fun pom poms on two of the sides. There's even a tutorial to show you how to make DIY yarn pom poms. For this pattern, you'll use creative stitches like half double crochet and treble. You won't want to miss out on this colorful blanket.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge13 dc and 6 rows = 4" [10 cm]
Finished SizeApprox 40" x 48" [101.5 cm x 122 cm]
- Caron® Simply Soft® (6 oz/170.1 g; 315 yds/288 m) Contrast A White (39701) 2 balls, Contrast B Neon Orange (39774) 2 balls, Contrast C Neon Yellow (39773) 2 balls, Contrast D Neon Pink (39775) 2 balls
- Size U.S. H/8 (5 mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- Yarn needle
BONUS VIDEO TUTORIAL:
Check out this video tutorial to learn how to change colors at the end of a row.
Find all the best summery patterns in this collection of Crochet Blanket Patterns: How to Make 14 Lightweight Summer Afghans
1. Foundation ch: multiple of 19 + 3.
2. To join new color, work to last 2 loops on hook. Draw new color through last 2 loops then proceed in new color.
3. Ch 2 counts as hdc.
Instructions for STRIPE PAT:
Work 2 rows of each color in the following sequence: (A, C, A, B) twice (16 rows), (A, D) twice (8 rows), (A, B, A, C) twice (16 rows), (A, D) twice (8 rows), (A, C, A, B) twice (16 rows), (A, D) twice (8 rows), (A, B, A, C) twice (16 rows), A (2 rows) – these 90 rows form Stripe Pat.
Instructions for BLANKET:
With A, ch 136.
1st row: (WS). 1 hdc in 3rd ch from hook. 1 hdc in each of next 7 ch. HdcCL. *1 hdc in each of next 7 ch. 2 hdc in each of next 2 ch. 1 hdc in each of next 7 ch. HdcCL. Rep from * to last 9 ch. 1 hdc in each of last 9 ch. Turn.
2nd row: Ch 2. Skip first st. Dcbp in each st to end of row. Join B. Turn.
3rd row: With B, ch 5. In first st work (1 tr. Ch 1) twice. (Skip next st. 1 tr in next hdc) 3 times. Skip next hdc. TrCL. (Skip next st. 1 tr in next st) 3 times. *Ch 1. Skip next st. In next st work [(1 tr. Ch 1) twice. 1 tr]. In next st work (1 tr. Ch 1) 3 times. (Skip next st. 1 tr in next st) 3 times. Skip next st. TrCL. (Skip next st. Tr in next st) 3 times. Rep from * to last 2 sts. Ch 1. Skip next st. In top of turning ch work [(1 tr. Ch 1) twice. 1 tr]. Turn.
4th row: Ch 3. 1 dc in first tr. 1 dc in each st and ch-1 sp to end of row, ending with 1 dc in 5th ch and 2 dc in 4th ch of ch 5. Join A. Turn.
5th row: With A, ch 2. Skip first dc. 1 hdc in each of next 8 dc. HdcCL. *1 hdc in each of next 7 dc. 2 hdc in each of next 2 dc. 1 hdc in each of next 7 dc. HdcCL. Rep from * to last 9 dc. 1 hdc in each of last 9 dc. Join C. Turn. First 5 rows of Stripe Pat are complete. Rows 2 to 5 form Pat.
Cont in pat, keeping cont of Stripe Pat, until all 90 rows of Stripe Pat will be complete.
Do not fasten off.
Do not turn.
Left side edges:
1st row: (RS).
With A, ch 2. Work 162 hdc evenly down left side edge of Blanket to bottom corner. Turn.
2nd row: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each hdc to end of row. Fasten off.
With RS facing, join A with sl st to bottom right corner. Work as given for left side.
Instructions for POM POM:
Wind A around 3 fingers 80 times. Tie tightly in the middle and leave a long end for attaching to Blanket.
Cut loops at both ends and trim to form pom pom.
Attach 1 pom pom to each point across both edges of Blanket.
If you love color, then you have to see this downloadable collection: Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans free eBook
Read NextWater Ripples Crochet Afghan
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Water Ripples Crochet Afghan
- Fans and Pansies Ripple Blanket
- Touch of Honey Ripple Crochet Pattern
- Oceanic Midnight Afghan
- 25 Crochet Patterns for Beginners
- Lazy Day Ripple Pattern
- 26 Free Crochet Ripple Afghan Patterns
- Long Shell Chevron Stitch
- Herringbone Single Crochet Ripple Blanket
- 12 Crochet Patterns for Kids, Tweens, and Teens
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Two Row Repeat Quick And Simple Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Zig-zag Blanket
- Easy Texture Blanket Crochet Pattern
- A Quick & Easy Modern Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Neutral Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Free Crochet Pattern: Easy To Make Blanket
- Quick One Color Blanket Pattern
- How To Make A Baby Crochet Blanket Pattern
- How To Crochet A Blanket With Extended Half Double Crochets
- Easy Crochet Filet Blanket
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions