This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- see all comments
"I did find a great video explaining how to read the chart and directions. https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oumKr2eA Cant wait to start this project!"
"Wheres the pattern? The link takes you to a page that saids its been moved."
"May try to do in the future."
How To Crochet The Classic Granny Square
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Click here to view your crochet patterns.
"Learning how to crochet the classic granny square is one of the first patterns that a beginner at crochet often learns how to make. The granny square is a design that can be used to create all kinds of fun projects. Easy-to-Learn Crochet Pattern The basic granny square is a classic that is simply perfect for a beginner for many reasons. One is that it helps a new crocheter read a crochet pattern while making something that is quick to make. Another reason is that the pattern is repetitive. Once you get beyond round three, the pattern is a repeat of rounds two and three."
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gaugedepends on the yarn that you choose for your project. If you use a worsted weight yarn with a size H hook, you will probably have between 12-16 stitches in 4-inches.
Finished SizeIf you crochet 6 rounds approximately 6 1/2 inches square
- any worsted yarn. Actually any yarn works for a granny square. But if you are just beginning. Use a worsted or medium weight yarn
- Size H Crochet Hook
- Yarn Needle
Read NextTraditional Granny Square
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Crazy Ripple Blanket
You've never seen a ripple crochet afghan like this before! The Crazy Ripple Blanket is an easy spin on the typical ripple pattern. By… Continue reading: "Crazy Ripple Blanket"
- Traditional Granny Square
- Corner To Corner C2c Mini Bean Stitch Square & Rectangle
- Pistachio Square
- Flower Love in 2D Square
- Prince Protea Crochet Granny Square
- Vintage-Inspired Crochet Granny Square
- Hugs and Kisses Square
- Sophie's Universe Crochet Blanket
- Enchanted Lilac Granny Square
- Blooming Violet Square
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- A Fast Throw Pattern, Free Crochet Pattern
- A Cozy Throw (free Crochet Pattern)
- How To Crochet Easter Bunny Applique
- Adjust The Size Of A Crochet Blanket
- What Is Gauge In Crochet?
- How To Finish Off A Crochet Blanket
- Why Is The Starting Edge Of Crochet Bunched Together?
- How To Crochet Your Second Row
- How To Crochet Your First Row
- How-to Turn Your Crochet (with Mini Tutorial)
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions