How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
Hexagon Gem Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Rich tones and interesting shapes make this Hexagon Gem Afghan a treat to crochet. Check out this crochet hexagon pattern to learn how to make an an afghan that has a unique border. Instead of creating a rectangle out of yarn, you'll leave sides of the hexagons exposed, adding a fun detail to this great afghan. Not only will this crochet hexagon afghan pattern keep you entertained, but when you're finished it's sure to keep you warm and toasty as well.
Crochet Hook: I/9 or 5.5 mm hook, J/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight: (4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- Caron International's Simply Soft Eco (80% Acrylic, 20% NatureSpun™ Polyester)
- 12 oz (A), shown in #0012 Wine Country
- 12 oz (B), shown in #0024 Ocean
- 22 oz (C), shown in #0032 Plum Perfect
- One size US I-9 (5.5mm) crochet hook
- One size US J-10 (6mm) crochet hook
- Yarn needle
Gauge: In double crochet using smaller hook, 12 sts and 6 1/2 rows = 4" / 10 cm. One hexagon measures about 17" / 43 cm at widest point.
Abbreviation: hdc2tog – Half double crochet 2 together = [Yarn over, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop] twice, yarn over and draw through all 5 loops on hook.
Special Technique: Adjustable-ringmethod = Wrap yarn into a ring, ensuring that the tail falls behind the working yarn. Between finger and thumb, grip ring and tail firmly. Insert hook through center of ring, yarn over (with working yarn) and draw up a loop. Yarn over and draw through loop on hook (chain stitch made). Work stitches of first round in the ring. After the first round of stitches is worked, pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring.
1. Hexagons are worked in joined rounds. Join, but do not turn at the end of each round. Each round begins with an sc and a ch 2. This (sc, ch 2) counts as the first dc of the round. When joining, join into the top of the ch-2.
2. To change color when joining a round: insert hook in beginning ch-2 of round, yarn over with new color and draw through both loops on hook. Fasten off old color.
With smaller hook and A, form an adjustable ring.
Round 1: With A, sc in ring, ch 2, 11 dc in ring; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2—12 dc. Pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring.
Round 2: With A, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, dc) in same st as join, [dc in next dc, 3 dc in next dc (corner made)] 5 times, dc in next dc, dc in same st as first sc; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2—24 dc.
Round 3: With A, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, dc) in same st as join, [dc in next 3 dc, 3 dc in next dc] 5 times, dc in next 3 dc, dc in same st as first sc; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2—36 sts.
Round 4: With A, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, dc) in same st as join, [dc in next 5 dc, 3 dc in next dc] 5 times, dc in next 5 dc, dc in same st as first sc; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2—48 sts.
Round 5: With A, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, dc) in same st as join, [dc in next 7 dc, 3 dc in next dc] 5 times, dc in next 7 dc, dc in same st as first sc; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2—60 sts.
Round 6: With A, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, dc) in same st as join, [dc in each dc to next corner, 3 dc in corner dc] 5 times, dc in each remaining dc around, dc in same st as first sc; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2 and change to B—72 sts.
Rounds 7–9: With B, repeat Round 6 three times and change to C at end of Round 9—108 sts.
Rounds 10–12: With C, repeat Round 6 three times—144 sts.
Finishing: Arrange motifs as shown in assembly diagram. Sew or crochet motifs together.
With smaller hook, join C with sl st anywhere in edge of throw.
Round 1: Ch 2, work hdc in each st around, working 3 hdc in each outer corner, and working hdc2tog over each inner corner; join with sl st in first hdc.
Round 2: Repeat Round 1.
Round 3: Change to larger hook, working loosely and in back loops only, sl st in each st around; join with sl st in first st. Fasten off.
Weave in ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Projects
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- How to Crochet the Catherine Wheel Tutorial
- Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket
- 18 Red Crochet Afghan Patterns
- Vintage Lace Crochet Afghan
- How to Crochet the Granny Ripple Stitch
- How to Crochet the Bavarian Square
- Amy Ramnarine
- World's Fastest Crochet Afghan Pattern
- How to Crochet the Shell Stitch