How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
Prairie Star Afghan
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Whether you use this Prairie Star Afghan as a blanket or as a wall decoration, it's beautiful. The crochet afghan pattern is challenging enough for advanced crocheters.
Crochet Hook: I/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight: (4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- RED HEART "Super Saver": 6 Ounces 378 Claret CA, 11 ounces 303 Painted Desert Print CB, 5 ounces 633 Dark Sage CE, 15 ounces 316 Soft White CF
- RED HEART "Fiesta": 14 Ounces 6013 Wheat CC, 7 ounces 6661 Meadow CD
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Yarn needle
FIRST MOTIF: With CA, ch 4; join with a sl st to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 1, [sc, hdc, dc, tr, ch 3, tr, dc, hdc] twice all in ring; join with a sl st to first sc.
Rnd 2: Ch 5, dc in sc, * dc in next 3 sts, (3 dc, ch 4, 3 dc) all in ch-3 sp, dc in next 3 sts **, (dc, ch 2, dc) all in next sc; rep from * to **; join to 3rd ch of ch-5.
Rnd 3 (See Note): Ch 3, * (dc, ch 3, dc) all in ch-2 sp, dc in next 2 dc, ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next 3 dc, ch 1, skip next dc, (3 dc, ch 5, 3 dc) all in ch-4 sp, ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next 3 dc, ch 1, skip next dc **, dc in next 2 dc; rep from * to **; dc in last dc; join to top of ch-3. Fasten off.
2ND MOTIF: With CA, work Rnds 1 and 2 same as for first motif.
Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in ch-2 sp; ch 1, with wrong sides together sc in ch-3 sp on first motif, ch 1, dc in same ch-2 sp on 2nd motif, dc in next 2 dc; sc in next ch-1 sp, skip next dc on motif in progress – join made; dc in next 3 dc, join, 3 dc in ch-4 sp, ch 2, sc in ch-5 sp on first motif, ch 2, 3 dc in same ch-4 sp on 2nd motif; complete same as first motif – 1 side joined.
NOTE: Check motif placement carefully. Some motifs will be joined beginning at a ch-5 sp. Some motifs will join a ch-3 sp to a ch-5 sp.
Following diagram, join all motifs in this manner: sc in a corresponding sp of a completed motif (the sc replaces one chain stitch on the motif in progress). Where 3, 4, or 6 points come together, join at points by sc into the sc of a previous joining.
HALF MOTIF: Ch 4; join with a sl st to form a ring.
Row 1 (Right Side): Ch 1, (sc, hdc, dc, tr, ch 3, tr, dc, hdc, sc) all in ring; do not join; turn.
Row 2: Ch 3, dc in first 4 sts, (3 dc, ch 4, 3 dc) all in ch-3 sp, dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in last sc; turn.
Row 3-Joining Row: Ch 3, sc in ch-sp on completed motif, ch 1, dc in first 3 dc, join, dc in next 3 dc, join, 3 dc in ch-4 sp, ch 2, sc in sc of previous joining, ch 2, 3 dc in same ch-4 sp, join to next motif, dc in next 3 dc, join, dc in next 2 dc, dc in top of ch-3, ch 1, sc in ch-sp on completed motif, ch 3, sl st in top of ch-3 of Row 2. Fasten off.
EDGING-Rnd 1: With right side facing, attach CE in any st; ch 1, work 1 rnd sc evenly around, increasing at outer points and decreasing at inner points to keep work flat; join to first sc.
Rnd 2: Ch 3, work 1 rnd dc, increasing and decreasing at points as before to keep work flat; join to top of ch-3. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
AFTER THE FIRST MOTIF, ALL OTHERS ARE JOINED WHILE WORKING RND 3.
Work and join center six CA motifs first, then work outward following diagram.
Afghan measures approximately 54" x 77"
GAUGE: Motif measures 4 1/4" x 6 3/4" before joining. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
- CA, CB, CC: Color A, B,C, ect.
- ch: chain
- dc: double crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- mm: millimeters
- rep: repeat
- sc: single crochet
- sl: slip
- sp: space
- st: stitch
- tr: treble crochet
- *: repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
- [ ]: work directions in brackets the number of times specified
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Lazy Waves Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Clamshell Crochet Afghan
- Passionate About Purple Throw
- Lilac & Sage Raised Rib Crochet Blanket
- New Favorite Afghan
- 29 Crochet Shell Stitch Patterns
- Contemporary Plaid Crochet Afghan Pattern
- Odds & Ends Afghan
- Bumble Berry Afghan
- Contemporary Stash-Busting Blocks Throw
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- 41 Crochet Graphghan Patterns + How to Read Crochet Charts
- 13 Crochet Bedspread Patterns
- 26 Honestly Beautiful Half Double Crochet Patterns
- 15 Crochet Blankets Using Two Skeins or Less
- 21 Crochet Basketweave Afghan Patterns
- 58 Crochet Afghan Patterns Using the Popcorn Stitch, Bobble Stitch, Puff Stitch, and Cluster Crochet Stitch
- Quick Corner to Corner Crochet Baby Blanket
- 28 Tunisian Stitch Crochet Afghan Patterns
- 32 Fast Crochet Afghan Patterns
- 46 Easy Crochet Granny Square Patterns