28 Tunisian Stitch Crochet Afghan Patterns
Check out these Tunisian afghan crochet patterns to find a new favorite stitch!
By: Nicola Trumball, Editor, AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns.com
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Join in on the Tunisian fun and check out these 28 Tunisian Stitch Crochet Afghan Patterns. There is no need to be scared of a Tunisian crochet pattern and this collection will show you why. Whether you're trying crochet Tunisian patterns for the first time or if you're a seasoned Tunisian crocheter, these free patterns for Tunisian crochet are about to be your favorite. These patterns for Tunisian crochet are all different and all super fun.
Learning how to crochet Tunisian crochet patterns will be a breeze after you follow our free crochet tutorials. Then move right along to our free Tunisian crochet patterns in all sizes. Use the Tunisian crochet stitch for full crochet afghans, crochet throws, and crochet baby blankets.
To clear up any confusion, the Tunisian stitch is often referred to as the afghan stitch. This is especially true for vintage crochet patterns. The afghan crochet stitch is used in vintage crochet patterns and it's great to see this crochet stitch in a new light. Learn how to crochet the afghan stitch/Tunisian stitch with these awesome free patterns!
If you like these crochet ideas and want to see more, then don't forget to sign up for the AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns newsletter, Laying It All Out.
PLUS! If you need a little refresher on the Tunisian stitch or want to learn how to do it for the first time, the video right below will help you! In no time, you'll be able to make Tunisian crochet blankets.
Table of Contents
Tunisian Stitch Tutorials
Let's start with the basics: Follow these Tunisian crochet tutorials to learn the basics of this stitch to use in a variety of projects. Patterns for Tunisian crochet are versatile and once you learn how to crochet this stitch you'll be able to crochet so much more.
If you're a visual learner, be sure to check out the newest video tutorial below! We also have more video tutorials to help you learn to crochet. If you don't need to follow photos or a video to work the crochet afghan stitch, or if you just need a quick refresher of the steps involved in creating Tunisian crochet stitches, we've got you covered.
How to Crochet the Tunisian Stitch:
Tunisian Simple Stitch (Tss): One row of Tunisian simple stitch is worked in two steps and using the front post of your work as follows, with yarn behind your work:
-Forward Pass (Step 1): Skip the first vertical bar; *insert hook under next vertical bar, yarn over and draw up a loop; repeat from * across.
-Return Pass (Step 2): Yarn over and draw through one loop on your hook; *yarn over and draw through 2 loops on your hook; repeat from * until only one loop remains on hook (one row of Tss complete).
Tunisian Knit Stitch (Tks): One row of Tunisian knit stitch is worked quite similarly to the Tss, except that you use the space under the vertical bar, or the space where you would normally insert your hook for a standard crochet stitch. The reverse pass is the same.
Calling all crochet experts! If you're looking to put your crochet skills to the test, check out these
Tunisian Afghan Crochet Patterns
Tunisian crochet patterns for afghans are not all the same. With these four crochet Tunisian patterns, you'll find that a variety of stitches and styles are used.
The Alaskan Blue Tunisian Crochet Blanket uses bobble stitches as well, and the two patterns use the Tunisian stitch to create crochet blocks. These patterns will give you just a taste of the possibilities that free Tunisian crochet stitches have to offer.
If you love these patterns, then you are going to love our free downloadable collection of Tunisian stitch patterns. Download your copy here: 6 Tunisian Crochet Blanket Patterns free eBook
Crochet Throws Using the Tunisian Stitch
If you're new to the world of Tunisian crochet, it might be best to start with a crochet throw. These Tunisian crochet patterns are not large, and you can crochet without worrying about size.
Free crochet patterns for throws are fun and fresh ways to brighten your home, and you can never have too many for when guests come over or for a suddenly chilly night.
Looking to learn a few more crochet stitches? Check out our Crochet Stitches 101: 5 Different Crochet Stitches to Learn How to Crochet
Tunisian Crochet Baby Blankets
Before you know it, you've mastered the Tunisian stitch. Now you can use your new crochet skill to whip up Tunisian crochet baby blankets for any occasion.
Follow these free patterns for truly unique ways to use both of the Tunisian crochet stitches. Free crochet patterns for babies are great ways to use your talents to create a heartfelt, personal gift for a special little one.
Vintage Afghan Stitch Patterns
While Tunisian crochet may seem like a new craze, this type of crochet pattern has been around for a while. In vintage crochet patterns, the Tunisian stitch is often called the afghan stitch.
Learn how to make an afghan with Tunisian crochet as well as how to cross-stitch on top of your finished afghan. These free crochet patterns using the afghan stitch let you embrace your nostalgia while also incorporating your own style. Plus, the afghan stitch is the perfect base for embroidery.
PLUS! Tunisian Crochet Patterns from AllFreeCrochet
If you are looking for some simpler ideas, then take a look at:
What's your favorite pattern in the list?
Let us know in the comments below!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Sedge Stitch Tutorial and Afghan Square
- 28 Tunisian Stitch Crochet Afghan Patterns
- Granny Square Border Tutorial
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns free eBook
- How to Crochet Star Stitch Tutorial
- 58 Crochet Afghan Patterns Using the Popcorn Stitch, Bobble Stitch, Puff Stitch, and Cluster Crochet Stitch
- Bargello Crochet Stitch Pattern
- How Do I Crochet: 12 Crochet Stitches for Beginners
- "How Do I Crochet?" 22 Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns to Get You Started
- Crochet Picot Stitch Tutorial
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
- The Crocheter's Gift Guide: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Baby Blankets and More for All Occasions
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Silk Cloud Yarn
- Fruit Stripe Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Beach House Granny Square Afghan
- Patriotic Partyghan
- Must-Make Crochet Temperature Afghan
- Cheerful Addison Granny Square
- Sunburst Round Baby Afghan
- Moss Crochet Stitch Tutorial
- Crochet Tips: Different Types of Yarn
- Must-Have Mitered Granny Square Afghan