Princess Crocodile Stitch Baby Blanket
We are adding the pattern to your Afghan Patterns.
This project has been added to your afghan patterns.
Make a little one feel like royalty with the Princess Crocodile Stitch Baby Blanket. Learn how to crochet the crocodile stitch with this lovely pattern. Making a crochet baby blanket pattern using different crochet stitches doesn't have to be difficult. This intermediate crocodile stitch blanket is great for crocheters looking to try something new and creative. With a beautiful sea foam blue color, you can make this baby afghan for a boy or a girl! What could possibly be a better baby shower gift?
Approx 35" [89 cm] square.
Bernat® Softee Baby™ (140 g/5 oz; 331 m/362 yds)
Mint (02004) 7 balls
Size 5.5 mm (U.S. I or 9) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge. Optional: 7 yds [6.5 m] of contrast color satin ribbon 3/8" [9 mm] wide.
6 V-sts and 8 rows = 4" [10 cm]
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Beginning
Ch(s) = Chain(s)
Cont = Continue(ity)
Dc = Double crochet
Pat = Pattern
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
RS = Right side
Sc = Single crochet
Sl st = Slip stitch
Sp(s) = Space(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
WS = Wrong side
- The "crocodile stitch" is formed by a 2 row repeat: a row of V-sts followed by a row of scales (or shells). This is a fairly easy pattern to execute and fast to memorize. The novelty of this design is that the scales are crocheted in front of the V-sts with clusters of double crochet (dc) from top to bottom, then from bottom to top, as opposed to working them on top of the row, like in most shell patterns.
- Ch 3 at beg of rnd counts as dc throughout.
1st row: (WS). (1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc) in 7th ch from hook (counts as 1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc). *Miss next 2 ch. (1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc) in next ch - V-st made. Rep from * to last 3 ch. Miss next 2 ch. 1 dc in last ch. Turn. 39 V-sts.
2nd row: Ch 3. Work 4 dc down post of first dc of first V-st. Ch 1. Work 5 dc up post of 2nd dc of the same V-st - beg scale st made. (See photo 1 on page 2) *Miss next V-st. Work 5 dc down post of first dc of next V-st. Ch 1. Work 5 dc up post of 2nd dc of the same V-st - scale st made. Rep from * to last dc. Sl st in last dc. Turn. 20 scale sts. (See photo 2 on page 2).
3rd row: Ch 3. V-st in first ch-1 sp of 1st row. *Inserting hook from front to back between next 2 scales and ch-1 sp of 1st row directly behind it, work V-st. (See photo 3 on page 2) Rep from * to last dc. 1 dc in top of last dc of 1st row. Turn. 39 V-sts. (See photo 4 on page 2).
4th row: Sl st in each of first 2 dc and next ch-1 sp. Miss next dc. *Scale st around next V-st. Miss next V-st. Rep from * to last V-st. Miss next dc. Sl st in next ch-1 sp and each of last 2 dc. Turn. 19 scale sts.
5th row: Ch 3. V-st in first ch-1 sp. *V-st in next ch-1 sp. Inserting hook from front to back between next 2 scales and ch-1 sp of 3rd row directly behind it, work V-st. Rep from * to last ch-1 sp. V-st in last ch-1 sp. 1 dc in last dc. Turn. 39 V-sts.
6th row: Ch 1. Scale st around first V-st. *Miss next V-st. Scale st around next V-st. Rep from * to last dc. Sl st in last dc. Turn. 20 scale sts. Rep 3rd to 6th rows 21 times more, ending on a 6th row. Do not break yarn. There will be 45 rows of scales.
1st rnd: (RS). Ch 1. 2 sc in same sp as last sl st. Work 89 sc down left side of Blanket, 3 sc in corner, 119 sc across bottom of Blanket, 3 sc in corner, 89 sc up right side of Blanket, 119 sc across top of Blanket and 1 sc in same sp as first sc. Join with sl st in top of first sc. 428 sc.
2nd rnd: Ch 6 (counts as dc and ch-3). 1 dc in same sp as sl st. *[Ch 1. Miss next sc. 1 dc in next sc. Ch 1. Rep from * to next corner sc, (1 dc. Ch 3. 1 dc) in next corner sc] 3 times. **Ch 1. Miss next sc. 1 dc in next sc. Ch 1. Rep from ** to next corner sc. Join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 6.
3rd rnd: Sl st in first ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 4 dc in same sp as last sl st. *3 dc in each ch-1 sp to next ch- 3 sp. 5 dc in next ch-3 sp. Rep from * around, ending with 3 dc in each ch-1 sp to next ch-3 sp. Join with sl st in top of ch 3.
4th rnd: Ch 3. 2 dc in each dc around. Join with sl st in top of ch 3.
5th rnd: Ch 3. *2 dc in next dc. 1 dc in next dc. Rep from * around. Join with sl st in top of ch 3. Fasten off.
Optional: Cut 4 pieces of ribbon measuring 60" [152 cm] each. Weave one ribbon piece along each edge of Blanket. Tie bows at each corner.
Check out this pattern and more in our exclusive 20 Flawless Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns Beyonce Needs for Blue Ivy list!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 30+ Quick and Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- Little Elephant Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Precious Pearls Lace Baby Blanket
- Beautiful Reversible Shell Baby Blanket
- Beginner Daydream Baby Blanket
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets eBook
- The Perfect Puff Stitch Baby Blanket
- Alternating V Shell Afghan 2
- Crocheted Christening Blanket
- Emma's Baby Afghan
- 10 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 11 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Square Crochet Projects
- 8 Crochet Ideas for Crochet Throws, Simple Crochet Patterns, and Crochet Blanket Patterns
- 9 Pastel Colored Patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets
- Color Scheme Crochet: How To Crochet 17 Colorful Crochet Afghans
- Crochet for Men: 14 Crochet Afghans for Men and Boys
- How Do I Crochet? 13 Basic Crochet Stitches and Free Beginner Crochet Afghan Patterns
- How To Crochet a Ripple Crochet Afghan: 7 Free Crochet Patterns
- How To Crochet: 14 Flower Crochet Granny Squares
- How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Red Heart Soft Yarn
- Little Elephant Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Granny Square Scarf Kit
- Blankets for Every Baby
- Modern Motifs
- Dreamy Basket Weave Baby Blanket Pattern
- Crochet Through the Years: 27 Vintage Crochet Afghan Patterns
- Fruit Stripe Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Floral Petals Mile a Minute Afghan
- Stashbusting Granny Stripe Crochet Afghan